44.1kHz Music File Play Problems

We’ve seen a number of issues with Denon AVRs. How is the Vero connected? To the AVR or to the TV and using ARC to send the audio?

Are you sure that it’s sending the signal un-touched? Does the Denon have a way to see the exact properties of the signal?

Other idea: Do you use an optical cable between the Vero and AVR for the AVR’s input source of the Vero?

1 Like

The Vero is connected via HDMI to the AVR. The Denon shows the signal as MULTI CH IN, PCM, 44.1 kHz, 3/2/.1

As for issues with Denon AVRs, do you mean their interface with the Vero? Because this same AVR plays the same files with no problem using my blu-ray player.

Is that when you are playing it on the Vero or the Bluray player, or both?

Is that would the Bluray player is also connected?

I don’t recall exactly what the problems in the past were. You can search here for Denon and you will probably get plenty to results for your reading pleasure :wink:

The Vero, but I can see what it says through my blu-ray player. I suspect it will show the same info. Yes, the blu-ray player is connected via HDMI as well.

Test it from the Bluray player to be sure what it’s sending.

You could try switching the cables and HDMI ports to see what happens.

1 Like

The blu-ray player showed the same info. I switched ports, connecting the Vero to the same input the blu-ray player uses, and still had cut-outs. I switched cables and still had cut-outs.

Having ruled out all other possibilities, it appears that my particular Vero unit will not play these particular files correctly. I have only a handful of albums with this profile, but it’s still disappointing, and this would also prevent me from obtaining other music with this profile.

It won’t be a hardware issue on the Vero side unfortunately.
Can you try enabling HPD Lock under Settings -> Display and rebooting?

I did, and I still get the cut-outs. I’d be extremely pleased if it’s not a hardware issue on the Vero side, and if it’s not a problem with the files (which we’ve confirmed), and it’s not a problem with my AVR or connections (which I believe I’ve confirmed), then the only thing left is settings, unless I’m missing something obvious.

Denon / Marantz have caused issues in the past, but we have largely resolved the issues.
Can you check if there is a firmware update available for your receiver?

Sam

Please try setting your resolution to 1080p and Player->Adjust display refresh rate to On start/stop. You will still be able to enjoy 4k videos with those settings.

Would it be safe to assume that the WD Passport your playing it from is not self powered? Have you tried copying a file to internal storage or a thumb drive to see the issue persists when played from a different media.

No firmware update available. It’s several years old, but it was a flagship model in its day.

That did the trick. Thanks so much!

1 Like

having your GUI set to 4k was making causing your audio problem?

Honestly, I don’t know if it’s that simple, but I do know that making the changes to settings that grahamh suggested solved my problem. It’s weird, though, because these particular files (multi-channel at 44.1 kHz) were the only ones that had problems. None of my other files did.

1 Like

I would be interesting to know if others can reproduce that. It was just a hunch, but I’ll check it out when I have time.

I’ve never tried to send 4K video through this receiver because, although it has 4k video passthrough, I don’t think it has hdcp whatever version it would need to have to be functional in today’s environment. I also remember having to set the video output on my Oppo 103D to a certain resolution on my home theater setup to achieve certain audio playbacks. I purchased the Vero 4K+ to play surround and stereo music on my non-home theater setup, which contains the Denon 4520. I’m happy with the fix that grahamh provided because I don’t plan, at this time, to use my Vero to play 4K video, either through local files or streaming through apps. If that changes, I guess I might need to replace my AVR.