Access HDD connected to Pi wirelessly with laptop

someone else is managing the LAN. And yes I realize that we have strayed a little from OSMC and I appreciate your assistance.
I ran wavemon again and I now have a bit rate of 19.5Mbit/s

honestly I think that the problems I have been encountering are out of my control but at least now I know its not a software or configuration problem as I thought it might be before.

These IP addresses are both class A IP addresses, which means you are on a huge network, certainly on one LAN which is part of a WAN, with many DHCP servers.

http://www.vlsm-calc.net/ipclasses.php

It’s almost impossible to troubleshoot for us, as suggested by @fzinken you should seek help for network configuration with your network admin.

the alternative i use (because i couldn’t be bothered with samba ;)) is filezilla.
see this: Raspberry Pi Documentation - Remote access

• same credentials as ssh
  • external HHDs are mounted in /media/<HDD name>

I would add that they are auto-mounted to /media/, but you can mount them anywhere you want in $HOME.
Under OS X I would recommend Cyberduck instead of Filezilla for SFTP connections.

If you only want to copy/transfer files, I would also recommend scp(secure copy) over ssh. And as long as you use sftp you already have ssh installed.

The scenario :

I have a file called “test.mkv” under /home/osmc/Movies on :osmc:
The device which runs :osmc: has the IP 192.168.0.10 on the LAN and has ssh service enabled.

I want to transfer this file to my macbook pro, my username on OS X is Cornellus and it has the IP 192.168.0.1 on the LAN. I want to download the file to /Users/Cornellus/Movies.

First we need to make sure ssh is enabled on OS X : System Preferences > Sharing > enable Remote Login
otherwise in CLI : sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ssh.plist

Finally here’s the scp command line tool :

Open a ssh session like you would normally do to administer :osmc: , then to transfer the file from :osmc: to the macbook pro

scp /home/osmc/Movies/test.mkv Cornellus@192.168.0.1:/Users/Cornellus/Movies

to transfer from the macbook pro to the device running :osmc:

First open Terminal application on OS X under /Applications/Utilities/Terminal and type :

scp /Users/Cornellus/Movies/test.mkv osmc@192.168.0.10:/home/osmc/Movies

But I would definitely recommend setting a static IP for the device running :osmc: and setting a good explicit hostname at the router level. Then configure the /etc/hosts files on OS X to bind the hostname to its static IP in order to find the device by its hostname on the LAN.
I’ll try to make a HowTo on LAN configuration for optimizing :osmc: administration and global experience on a home network.