Accessing network shares from osmc

I’m trying to get osmc to see my network shares. I have an external HDD plugged into my asus router which is sharing the drive using network places (samba). I can access the drives fine from my laptop and desktop but it is not showing up in osmc which is connected to the same network. The smb:// option in adding files menus shows no drives. Anyone know how to fix this?

Currently the samba browsing function not working.
So you would need to manually add it via smb://IP Adress/Share.

I tried accessing it via ip address but its saying connection timed out.

I also tried mounting the drive using fstab. I can see the drive in SSH and browse it but when I try to access it in OSMC it freezes and I have to restart

It might be that your asus router on supports SMB1, check the forum for that issue.

That sounds strange and might be a different problem.

Actually why not connect the usb drive to Pi and use the Pi as a samba server?

I realized it was freezing cause I added the root folder which I guess it couldnt handle that many folders at once. I added specific folders and everything is working now. Ill just go with that.

Im having another issue. I get an error when OSMC boots up its saying that it failed to mount the drive. I have to ssh in and run sudo mount -a to get it to work after booting up. This is the line I added. Thanks for your help.

//myrouterIP/myshare /mnt/windowsshare cifs guest,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8 0 0

Use automount
x-systemd.automount,noauto,iocharset=utf8,user,username=USERNAME, password= PASSWORD, uid=osmc,gid=osmc,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0770,dir_mode=0770

That fixes the issue. Thanks again for all your help!

Hi!
I have two OSMC in my network and one of them has a USB HDD connected. I can see the drive on my Windows10 PC as a shared folder when accessing \192.168.1.10\ and inputing username and password.

I want to add this drive as a source for content on the second Raspberry Pi, but when adding a source and browsing smb:// - nothing appears. I tried typing in the network location: smb://192.168.1.10/Seagate Expansion Drive/Video/ but it says the connection timed out.

Could the problem be because of the spaces between Seagate Expansion Drive? Should I input any special characters instead of spaces?