Accidentally changed osmc group memberships

Hi all,

I stupidly ran:

sudo chmod -G newgroupname osmc

This resulted in osmc failing to boot. it appeared that it prevented /mmcblk0p1 mounting at /boot
whilst troubleshooting I came to the realization that fiddling with groups was probably the fault and then I looked at my history and realised my mistake. the challenge was and still is now to figure out what groups osmc user should be a member of.

So far i understand that it needs to be part of the video group. Adding osmc user to that group again allowed osmc to boot and kodi to load successfully with the /dev/mmcblk0p1 partition mounting at /boot successfully.

I’m fairly certain this is the only change i made in order to make things boot ok.

I’ve done all of this remote but can see from my terminal that things appear much better. i’m now wondering what other groups osmc user should be a member of?

Many thanks!

Did you mean usermod?

Here are the groups for user osmc:

osmc@osmc:~$ id
uid=1000(osmc) gid=1000(osmc) groups=1000(osmc),4(adm),6(disk),7(lp),20(dialout),24(cdrom),29(audio),44(video)
1 Like

Many thanks - yes indeed. I meant usermod. Twit…

many thans for the groups. i’ve totally destroyed all that. will fix and fingers cross that’ll do it.

I had to go home there and with osmc only being a member of the video and osmc groups it loads fine but can’t access any of the settings. it’s like a vanilla system.

This has resolved all my problems. adding osmc back to the groups i had stupidly removed it from.

thanks again.