All USB attached hard drives gone *solved-usb hub failure*

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and while I was no longer able to access the drives via the network, I was able to use WINSCP to FTP into them.
That was about 2 weeks ago.
As of this morning, all drives are gone when I FTP into the Vero 4k
There is a message inside the media folder where all my drives would show stating:

#### Notice ####
This directory is for automounted drives. Empty directories here are purged on reboot.
If you wish to configure an /etc/fstab mount for a drive that is attached permanently, you should do so in the /mnt directory

Drives were shared via smb.

I went into System and SMB and it was set to Max version SMB3, since I saw some posts earlier, I saw setting it to 1 may help for a temp fix, to no avail.
None of the drives show mounted via Video–>Files

Drives, usb hub, and Vero hsve been rebooted multiple times.

Thoughts?

0 Likes

What is the output of

lsusb

run on the Vero?

0 Likes

Is there a specific dir I should run it from?
Right now says:

/home/osmc$ lsusb
-bash: line 12: lsusb: command not found

0 Likes

Sorry, I forgot it’s not installed by default.

sudo apt install usbutils

After that completes you can then run lsusb.

0 Likes

sigh I promise, I’m reasonably tech savvy, but this still doesn’t work.
And after I ran that script, I rebooted as well, still says command not found.
Uncertain if related, but now every dir I access via WinSCP says “Invalid access to memory.”
Still allows me in though.
Not a good morning thus far :slight_smile:

0 Likes

What happened when you ran the apt command?

0 Likes

Well lsusb would be helpful. But otherwise as a first think run grab-logs -A and provide the URL

0 Likes

Thanks, will do that also.
I installed putty instead of using the telnet window in WINSCP, that seems to have been the issue.

/$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 2017:1688
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 1a40:0101 Terminus Technology Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0b95:1790 ASIX Electronics Corp. AX88179 Gigabit Ethernet
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

0 Likes

It seems to see your hub, but not the attached drives. Maybe your hub has failed. Try connecting one of the drives directly to the Vero as a test.

0 Likes

Was thinking that too…
Logs available at https://paste.osmc.tv/rurodarefu
I suspect they will just show that no media is found…

0 Likes

it shows

• one port of the Vero has an Amazon USB-Gigaethernet adapter or simliar installed
  • on the other port of the Vero there is a 4-port USB hub connected which sees a Logitech wrieless receiver and keyboard/mouse device (the OSMC RF dongle)
0 Likes

So it does appear that the USB hub just died.
I picked up a TP-LINK USB 3.0 7-Port Hub UH700 and they now appear.
I have to do some more testing though as after I plugged it in, and rebooted the Vero it went in a Please Stand By loop.
I unplugged the hub and rebooted again, the vero is back, and I reconnected the USB hub. The drives auto mounted as expected.
But why would that loop happen?

The hub is powered, although not a 12v, but my enclosures and external drives are all powered anyways.
4K Sony XBR75900E, Denon 2300w receiver.

Very odd behavior, not sure what happened but today has not been a good day tech day. Glad it’s back, but am not optimistic about my next shutdown and power up…

0 Likes

Do you have a Seagate drive?

0 Likes

I do, an 8TB powered external and a few of the internals are Seagates as well.
As of last night and a few reboots, seemed to be back to normal.

0 Likes

This stand by issue has occurred again after a lockup. You asked about seagates why was that?

0 Likes

Some Seagate drives have a firmware issue

0 Likes