All Videos Refuse to Play - new to Vero 4K

I have just bought a Vero 4K and finally set it up under Kodi 17.6 . I am new to Vero 4K, but not to Kodi. I am using my MacPro as a NFS Server, and have successfully setup the shares by first configuring fstab based NFS share mounts. Kodi/OSMC had no problems finding all of my shares and can even read the video and audio media info in each of the video files and display that info appropriately. But when I try to actually play any of the videos, playback fails within 1 second with a black screen then back to Kodi. I see this behavior whether I try to stream the video from my MacPro through NFS, or I try to play a video directly from an attached USB stick. The only videos that I have actually gotten to play on this device is You Tube Videos through a You Tube Add-on.

I have seen others report this problem using an SMB server, not NFS. My Vero 4K is connected by ethernet to my network, and I no problems setting up the NFS Shares from my MacPro through SSH and the Mac’s Terminal app.

I have not seen any errors reported by Kodi, but I am confused on what logs to look at or what to upload to show what is happening. Any help would be appreciated.

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

I suppose that you are trying to play back the Movies you bought with iTunes?
That won’t work. DRM inside… Tĥey are encrypted. You can play these files back only with Apple hardware (reason I dumped all my Apple subscriptions and hardware to have the freedom of choice.).

If your movies are not encrypted, then a full log is required to check what the issue is.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. When I finally examined the debugging logs it was quite obvious that I had imported TOO much from a another Kodi 17.6 setup on an Android Box. So I reset the Vero 4K back to factory settings (January, 2018 download), and cautiously setup Kodi again, but selectively imported skin settings and my large video database alone. This setup took longer, but all of my Videos now play without any problems. I have tested several 4K movies with HDR. So far they all play without any slow down when streaming from my MacPro (as expected) and with the proper change in resolution and activation of HDR as expected during playback. The High Bitrate Audio is also recognized by my Denon receiver with proper decoding.

The only thing lacking now is 3D ISO playback (I have a large collection of 3D Movies also that look fantastic on my LG OLED G6P). I am waiting anxiously for a future 3D upgrade. Thanks for your help.

Could you let me know which device you restored from? I remember a user did the same a long time ago, and deleting guisettings.xml resolved the issue.

I wonder if your old backup was trying to force a different player.

Sam

Now that I think of it, you are right about the guisettings.xml trying to force a different player. I restored a backup from a HiMedia Q10 Pro player. Now that you reminded me, the Q10 uses the gui settings.xml file to force their own player to player videos and was doing this with the Vero 4K as well.

In any case I found a work around, though it took longer to get it set up and I am still slowly correcting all of the missing fanart and posters on the transfer.