Indeed – this involves adding support for the USB interface for Broadcom FullMAC drivers.
I am not the only team member, but I am the only team member with the device. I had received this device some time ago, but did not have time to test it. Firmware is included, as I am sure you can tell. A simple
dmesg would’ve shown me there was no kernel module, but I had not received one to date. So naturally, being on holiday, without the equipment needed, I was unable to resolve this.
Firstly, I do not see how that adds weight to your argument. Secondly, things did not grind to a halt. Our team achieved the OSMC final release while I was on holiday.
Although you see the addition of the kernel module as a simple task, there are other considerations:
- Potential regressions (VID/PID overlap). For example, RTL8192DU will overlap a PID with RTL8192SE if in-tree.
- Power management: RTLx shows significant decrease in performance with this enabled.
- Compile options. We preempt, so does -O3 treat this driver OK? What does upstream say?
I was aware of the issue, and needed to test it myself. I said I was on holiday because I did not want someone to waste their time submitting a PR when it was already being handled.
Maybe – but that money goes in to supporting the flagship device well as a priority. Hardware enablement is an extension of that, but only to an extent.
That’s not how the build system works. rbp-012* support package includes a defconfig, but that is not used.
Only if you build the whole kernel. The individual module which can be built in tree takes only 5 minutes.
My changes are branched and are pending for the July update.
You invoked the hostility here. Even a bump would have been more appreciated or to ask how progress was. You could have also posted your solution, to which I would have raised my concerns as mentioned above. I have afforded you some respect here, please be as courteous as to understand that OSMC’s development roadmap is of significant scope. It is favourable to us and users to support as much hardware as possible, and we do some in as timely a manner as possible. Even if I had resolved this issue some days ago on my holiday, this release would be deferred until the July update as there are significant kernel changes in the pipeline as well.
Should you have suggestions for how we can improve our development process, I would love to hear them. You can send me an email at sam at osmc dot tv. If you’d prefer a direct line, send me a PM and we can have a chat.