Audio output question

Hi

I was looking at running squeezlite in conjunction with Kodi , so i can get music syncing working across my Vero 4k+ devices . I currently have Kodi working through HDMI…would it be possible to have both Optical to the Squeezelite and Kodi HDMI running at the same time (multi threaded) or is it one or the other ?

Yes, dual audio output is possible and is in fact the default operation of the SoC.

There are two different ALSA devices exposed — so you won’t have a problem with resource acquisition.

But if your objective is to have a different sound from Kodi and your other app simultaneously then this isn’t possible

Sam

Thanks Sam , I will give it a go …great support as always cheers mate

I’ve elaborated a little bit above.

Thanks Sam - makes sense

would I be correct in saying that the default device would be the optical path in this listing (from Squeezelite) ?

default:CARD=AMLM8AUDIO - AML-M8AUDIO, - Default Audio Device
sysdefault:CARD=AMLM8AUDIO - AML-M8AUDIO, - Default Audio Device
hdmi:CARD=AMLM8AUDIO,DEV=0 - AML-M8AUDIO, - HDMI Audio Output
dmix:CARD=AMLM8AUDIO,DEV=0 - AML-M8AUDIO, - Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=AMLM8AUDIO,DEV=1 - AML-M8AUDIO, - Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=AMLM8AUDIO,DEV=2 - AML-M8AUDIO, - Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=AMLM8AUDIO,DEV=0 - AML-M8AUDIO, - Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=AMLM8AUDIO,DEV=1 - AML-M8AUDIO, - Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=AMLM8AUDIO,DEV=2 - AML-M8AUDIO, - Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=AMLM8AUDIO,DEV=0 - AML-M8AUDIO, - Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=AMLM8AUDIO,DEV=1 - AML-M8AUDIO, - Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=AMLM8AUDIO,DEV=2 - AML-M8AUDIO, - Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=AMLM8AUDIO,DEV=0 - AML-M8AUDIO, - Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=AMLM8AUDIO,DEV=1 - AML-M8AUDIO, - Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=AMLM8AUDIO,DEV=2 - AML-M8AUDIO, - Hardware device with all software conversions

Hang on – what are we trying to achieve here?
Just two applications (Kodi and Squeezelite) being able to play at the same time?

Sam

Not at the same time , i will run a script to shutdown Kodi when i want to use squeezelite , the reason i want to use Optical and not HDMI is because I want to avoid the tv turning on via CEC and all the wonderful ARC issues that come up with it :slight_smile: …So just trying to determine which output I should choose for Optical output

It’s not that simple. HDMI audio piggy-backs off s/pdif in hardware - it’s not a separate ALSA sink that you can turn off. It may be possible to turn off the HDMI clock without affecting s/pdif via the commandline.

No worries thanks for the info , I found a couple of posts on here with a setup that may work…I will give it a go. Thanks again cheers

Yes – I think the phy sysfs node could be used to turn off the TMDS clock here but keep optical out alive.