Audio Passthough / decode error

I’m focusing on the March update at the moment as there are quite a lot of improvements I’d like to get out. Then I’ll take a closer look at this.

Cheers

Sam

1 Like

I have experienced this a number of times as well.

Sometimes when I start playback, the audio is extremely noisy/distorted. If I then stop and start playback of the same file again, it is most times perfectly fine. I will see if I can notice any pattern in the types of files this occur with. I think it stopped when I disabled hw decoding of h264 material (due to the ghosting issue), but this could also simply be a coincidence.

I’m also still experiencing this issue. I used to think the source material was defective but it happens much to often. At one time even the GUI sounds were distorted as if the whole audio connection was out of sync.

My previous Pi2 had also audio issues which were solved after setting the hdmi_clock_change_limit=20 parameter in the config.txt file.

I don’t know how to do this on the Vero 4K. I guess that it also has several HDMI tuning parameters available? I’d love to do some testing!

And by the way @bubblez do you also use a Yamaha AVR (673)?

Hi all,

Got my Vero 4K yesterday, had the same problem, happened on a number of files, without any pattern, but I changed my output configuration from optimized to best match and I have not had any issues since.

I also disabled DSP processing but I’m not sure if this helped or not, there was a lot going on yesterday.

I have 7.1 going to my Pioneer vsx 930 via passthrough with everything selected.

Hope this helps.

DSP is broken in Kodi v17, so leave it off for now.[quote=“Mobula, post:23, topic:23365”]
My previous Pi2 had also audio issues which were solved after setting the hdmi_clock_change_limit=20 parameter in the config.txt file.
[/quote]

I will check with @popcornmix what that setting does. Do you have a particularly long HDMI cable?

Sam

Do you have the problem with Adjust Refresh Rate off? Just as a quick test

I’m using the original Vero 4K cable so I don’t think that an issue. I will check both the adjust refresh rate setting and the optimisation of the speaker setup later this evening. I suspect that it’s something else because the distortion is, often, quite subtle with some ticking noises from the rear speakers and I don’t remember that from the Rpi.

As always, when you look for a sample everything seems to work just fine. Although I did found a file which remains silent in pass-through mode. Switching the adjust display rate option off or changing the speaker setup doesn’t help.

I’ll post an update when I’ve found some more files exhibiting the problem.

Won’t be that then. I asked as some issues occur when using very long lengths of cable (usually with projectors).

That’s usually a configuration issue.
If you can reliably reproduce it, should be easy to fix

I have done further experiments enabling/disabling a number of settings on at a time. I can rule out that this has anything to do with HW decoding settings, passthrough settings or idle audio settings.

It always help to restart playback, but I found out that it also helps to change the receiver input to another input and back again.

I believe the issue only happens for me when PLIIx is enabled on the receiver, and only for material that is decoded and sent as PCM. As my receiver only supports the use of PLIIx on passthrough audio, and not PCM, it is my theory that it sometimes does not register correctly whether PLIIx can be enabled for the audio stream. I have disabled PLIIx for the time being, and will let you know if I experience the issue again. My receiver is an old Panasonic SA-XR700.

OK, after this last update, all the options I used to see under “Passthrough Audio” in System->Audio are gone. Is that intentional?

Also, since DSP isn’t working (and actually having it on was causing most of the TrueHD audio streams not to be passed through), can that option just be removed/disabled for now?

I’m also seeing something strange, now that I unchecked DSP, all the correct audio data seems to be flowing to my receiver (when I check the audio for the specific video that’s playing, it shows and allows me to select amongst the various audio streams), but my receiver now only shows “PCM” instead of showing the actual audio digital format that it was previously showing (except for the TrueHD formats as I mentioned).

I checked in my System->Audio and I have it set to hdmi, which is what I’m using to pass into my receiver, but even if I change that to pcm, I see no change in behavior.

No – you should still see full audio passthrough options. Take a photo if you don’t; make sure expert settings is enabled and you’re not using Bluetooth audio streaming which can cause issues

I’m also seeing an issue where choosing “logout” from a profile results in the system hanging. I haven’t debugged that in the logs to see if it’s doing library update or something else, but we ended up having to unplug/replug.

And I have no Bluetooth Audio configured

Hard to see, but you seem to have DSP enabled. That shouldn’t be on as it doesn’t work properly in Kodi v17.

Make sure Sync Playback to Display is also off or you won’t see
passthrough options either.

Sam

No, it’s disabled, just as is Send low volume noise.

Okay – hard to tell of the top of my head here, but just to confirm that Vero 4K is connected to the same hardware as before, so no changes in terms of equipment.

The lazy way to do it is to nuke settings (mv ~/.kodi ~/.kodi-backup).

I think the issue is because you have certain features enabled that would require PCM output (such as resampling and upmixing)

Cheers

Sam

All of those options (resampling and upmixing) are unchecked. I had checked them before, but now they are unchecked.

also Sync Playback to Display is likewise off.

No way I’m gonna nuke ./kodi after all the addon config issues I had to go through, so are there certain files related to profile that I could nuke?

You could:

• Stop Kodi
  • Move ‘guisettings.xml’ to a backup file
  • Re-launch Kodi, and see if this resolves the issue.

It will almost certainly be a setting issue, but I don’t have a Vero 4K infront of me right now to test

Cheers

Sam

The issue was Output Configuration Fixed. Changed to Best and it now passes through the digital formatname, but back to TrueHD formats not passing through.

There’s an issue with Atmos (fixed in next update), but don’t think it would be causing an issue with TrueHD. Was it working for you before?

If so – then this definitely won’t fix the issue. If not, just wait for the update and let me know.