Boot stuck after Starting Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes

Hello,

I have a rather fresh install on a Pi 4 and it is stuck at Starting Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes…

I can ssh it. Also I see that no HD is in /media
udisks-glue.service fails to load.

Here is my log:
https://paste.osmc.tv/ahupicufef

Yesterday I upgrade OSMC from GUI.

Thanks for the help, I’m a bit lost.

It looks like you have an external drive connected:

Oct 18 12:45:54 osmc kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] tag#0 timing out command, waited 180s
Oct 18 12:45:54 osmc kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] tag#0 UNKNOWN(0x2003) Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=0x08 cmd_age=180s
Oct 18 12:45:54 osmc kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] tag#0 Sense Key : 0x2 [current] 
Oct 18 12:45:54 osmc kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] tag#0 ASC=0x4 ASCQ=0x1 
Oct 18 12:45:54 osmc kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] tag#0 CDB: opcode=0x88 88 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 08 00 00
Oct 18 12:45:54 osmc kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 0 op 0x0:(READ) flags 0x0 phys_seg 1 prio class 0
Oct 18 12:45:54 osmc kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev sdb, logical block 0, async page read

Is this a self powered drive, or powered via USB, or on a powered USB hub?
Try without that drive connected and see if that helps.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer !
Indeed I have two drives, one is self-powered and the other one is on a powered USB hub.

I guess now I have to see which one makes this fail, but any pointers on what the issue could be ?

My guess is it’s the USB powered drive. Try booting without that drive. If that fixes it then you will need to get a powered USB hub.

1 Like

It works without the one powered by the USB hub, if I leave the self-powered one it boots ok.

The self-powered one is already connected via a USB powered hub, might that be the issue ?
not sure if there is any way to healthcheck that ?

Anyway thanks a lot for quickly identifying the issue.

You could try without the hub. Possibly (sadly) the drive may have just failed. How is it formatted (NTFS, ext4?) If NTFS just connect it to a Windows system. If ext4 then you would have to try a live Linux boot if you have no other linux systems available.

Also try with the self-powered drive connected directly to the Pi instead of the hub.

1 Like

So I tried by removing the hub and connecting directly the hard drive and it booted ! I had a Raspberry Pi 3 before and it couldn’t handle it.
But weird enough when I connect it I lose my ability to connect to Wifi. At first I didn’t believe it was related but I disconnect it and right away I can connect to Wifi.
Does the HD requires too much power that doesn’t allow the Wifi interface to be powered properly ?

We’ve seen this before, so yes, it’s possible. Sounds like your powered hub failed and needs replacement.

1 Like

I found this as well

https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=253212

Seems a change of cable might help but the WD cable has proprietary format…

It’s possible that the port on the hub is bad. Try a different port (I have had this happen before)

1 Like

Thanks. I don’t use the hub anymore it’s clear that the hub is causing problem, connecting directly works!