Cachemembuffersize

Hey

I’ve seen it posted that cachemembuffersize=0 is a bad hack. I guess this is because it wears out your SD card or USB stick if you mount sym link temp to your USB mount point.

Can I ask what is a good way around this or an alternative? I sometimes I need to leave videos to buffer over an extended period so that I can watch them through. I’ve just started using a Pi 2 (from an original Pi B) and hopefully doubling the ram should help with the amount it can buffer.

Any info would be greatly received. Apologies that this is more of a Kodi question rather than OSMC specific but I don’t know if others have this issue.

Cheers

cachemembuffersize=0 is not a bad hack as such, but it does have limitations - in particular using disk based buffering adds the read/write bottleneck of your SD card - you can’t stream anything buffered that is a higher bitrate than what your SD card can write and read back.

So if you had buffering enabled for “local” filesystems as well (buffermode 1) that would prevent you streaming blu-ray rips from a LAN server for example. So you would not want to mix buffermode 1 with cachemembuffersize=0.

As you have a Pi 2 you have double the amount of memory so you could try setting the buffer size quite large - you would need to experiment to see how much ram is left over but you could probably get away with 200 maybe even 300MB for the buffer size on a Pi 2.

The way I would test it would be to download bcmstat and leave that running via ssh showing free memory while you attempt to buffer a video, and see what free ram shrinks to. As long as you have at least 200MB of ram free you should be fine.

Hey DBMandrake

Thanks for the info, it’s very useful! I’ll see how I get on with the Pi2 now its up and running.

Cheers man!

Hi,

I also get cache fill error on my pi 2, can you please tell me the file and setting to change for streaming online videos and not changing the local streaming settings.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=216835&pid=2010845#pid2010845