Can a Pi3 do 4K, and other fun stuff

Why not? You don’t mind throwing acccusations around… Like this old gem below -

Your contribution to the original thread was split to a separate post because it was not providing any useful content to help solve his problem and only served to distract from those users receiving meaningful support.

I moved this to a new topic because you are refusing to listen to us. As @ActionA said, we are just trying to help. But you don’t want to listen to the advice you are given.

Just because the power supply is rated at 3A doesn’t mean that it’s really putting out 3A.

And as to 4K on the Pi3, when the official Pi Foundation announces it, I’ll believe it.

Yes. Following up to the initial question, your answer in the other hand was that it was my “faulty” equipment. Which is simply not true!

To your point regarding “helping” others is your impression. You have no gramm of support in your body, please stop “donating” condescenting and rude answers to us “disadvantaged”.

To answer your buddy: Guess what, I have a voltmeter and it says 2,93A ouput so please don’t think you solved the issue by stating that someones power supply is faulty.

To sum up this horror show: til date I have been a fervent promoter of OSMC even got a couple of your dongles to my family and friends. You two obvious technical analphabets ( but zealous tech justice warriors) have succesfully shown that this project is one the way down (especially after falsely opening a thread under my name!!)

CU (not!) :*

Did you check the voltage? If the Pi is showing under volt, then there is a problem.

I moved your thread as it was polluting the OP’s thread.

Somehow I don’t think that you will be missed.

Are you able to test the power supply while under load? This is the problem with cheap/lowest bid quality/failing PSUs. They eventually start failing to provide the fully rated voltage when demand for amperage increases. We’ve been seeing this for years.

The Raspberry Pi absolutely does not support 4K video playback. It is possible to get a 4K framebuffer and output a 4K15Hz signal, but this is not practical nor desirable. It does not make sense to do this when the GPU is limited to 1080p playback; and instead the TV should handle upscaling if it supports 4K.

Looking at the PSU you have linked to, it is not 3A. It is 2.8A. What seems to be problematic is the fact that it has a switch on the plug, which can be used to control power to the unit. These style of adapters have been notorious for being problematic and not delivering enough power.

There are a few possibilities:

• The power supply has degraded, and cannot deliver enough power to the Pi.
  • The power supply to the hard disk has degraded; and there is an increased draw from the Pi power adapter, which means it now struggles.
  • An OS update or change in your workload now means that more power is consumed, and this has exposed either of the above.

OSMC uses more power than Raspbian, because it stresses RIL components more (video playback). You’re more likely to see power supply problems with OSMC or another media center distribution than Raspbian.

However, OSMC cannot draw more power than the Pi recommends. This means that if you have an official adapter; or an adapter that can meet the Pi’s demands, you won’t have any problems. If you’re getting a lightning bolt symbol, then it’s clear that you don’t.

We would need to know more information about what you were doing with the Bluetooth dongle (A2DP, or something else?) to advise. It’s also possible that the Bluetooth adapter itself is not getting enough power to run properly. This usually manifests as a series of connects / disconnects in the system log.

I don’t believe that posts were made under your account without your permission; but do let me know if that was the case. My understanding is that the topic was split off in to a new topic; with all of your posts kept intact.

Over the last six years, I cannot stress enough the importance of a good, certified PSU.

S