Can I run a linux program in OSMC?

Long story short: I’ve been using this program as an addon in LibreELEC for many year, and I really want it to work for me with my new setup that is a unRAID server and a Vero 4K.

Is there some way that I can make this program run on the Vero 4K?

/Söder

Looks like it should work. I’d suggest that you contact the developer if you have problems getting it running.

1 Like

Well, I think that the developer kind of stopped updating it. Also, I’m kind of a noob about programming, and would not be able doing anything myself, besides maybe setting up a VM and compile it if I got a great guide.

/Söder

No need for a VM, you just build it directly on the Vero. Usually something like this:

./configure
make
sudo make install

You’ll have to figure out any dependencies as the developer didn’t seem to include any build instructions.

I beg to differ: There’s a file ‘INSTALL’ in the repo that lists dependencies (libcurl and libxml2) and describes the build process.

Installation instructions

1. Dependencies

Automatic makes use of the libcurl and libxml2 libraries, so make sure those are installed.

1. Configuration

First autogenerate the configuration files by typing

./autgen.sh

then configure the tool by typing

./configure

This should work on most systems and prepare the package for compilation. You may check out further
options by typing ./configure --help

After configure is done, you compile via

make

If everything went well, install Automatic by typing

make install

That’s it! You’re done!

Start Automatic with the command ‘automatic’. You may specify a different location for the configuration file
(the default one sits at /etc/automatic.conf)

Have fun!

This is from the INSTALL.

/Söder

I didn’t look that close, I just checked out the readme.

So is this enough instructions for you or do you need help?

sudo make install

Thats the only thing I’d change in those instructions, incase it wants to write to system folders.

I will try to do this.

1. Copy over the folder (or zip) with the code to somewhere on the OSMC. Where is the best place to put it?

2. Go to that folder in a terminal and type all those things. I should use sudo make install instead.

Where will this program “be” later? And how to I set it up to always start during a reboot?

/Söder

I’d put it directly under /home/osmc, but it’s completely up to you.

Both depend on choices by the author (or you). Usually, programs compiled in that way go to /usr/local. The program might already include some autostart mechanism that gets installed by “sudo make install”. Otherwise, you’ll have to write your own.

If you post the output of the “configure” and “make install” commands, we might be able to figure out what happened.

1 Like

Hmm, I’ve now transfers the unpacked folder to the /home/osmc folder, in a folder called Automatic-0.8.3

I don’t understand what this is about…

/Söder

Hi,

try this:

chmod +x autogen.sh
./autogen.sh
./configure
make
sudo make install

Thanks Tom.

1 Like

osmc@osmc:~$ cd Automatic-0.8.3/
osmc@osmc:~/Automatic-0.8.3$ chmod +x autogen.sh
osmc@osmc:~/Automatic-0.8.3$ ./autogen.sh
./autogen.sh: 3: ./autogen.sh: aclocal: not found
./autogen.sh: 4: ./autogen.sh: autoconf: not found
./autogen.sh: 5: ./autogen.sh: automake: not found
osmc@osmc:~/Automatic-0.8.3$

This is from the autogen.sh file.

GNU nano 2.7.4 File: autogen.sh

#!/bin/sh

aclocal
autoconf
automake --add-missing --copy

/Söder

The INSTALL file on that github site you provided has all dependencies listed.

As I said, pretty much a noob in all this. What does that mean? =) That I need to install stuff?

/Söder

1. Dependencies

Automatic makes use of the libcurl and libxml2 libraries, so make sure those are installed.
You’ll also need automake to run autogen.sh - on Debian-derived distros, apt-get install automake.

So yes, you need to make sure that libcurl, libxml2 and automake are installed.

1 Like

Hi,

I think if you install automake, you should be good; as aclocal is included and autoconf is a dependency so it should be auto installed along with automake.

So:

sudo apt-get install automake

and then start from ./autogen.sh

Thanks Tom.

1 Like

Something didn’t work as it should…

/Söder

Hi,

Try: sudo apt-get install build-essential

I would then start from ./autogen.sh again.

Thanks Tom.

P.S

@soder Just tried this on a debian vm, you need do the following to get this to work:

sudo apt-get install automake build-essential libcurl4-openssl-dev pkg-config libxml2-dev libpcre3-dev

./autogen.sh
./configure
make
sudo make install

Weird that pkg-config is not listed as a dependency, as the configure scripts requires it to check the correct packages are installed. Anyway that should get you going.

Thanks Tom.

1 Like