Can OSMC RC3 be upgraded offline to release?

I installed OSMC a couple of weeks ago on a RPi2B unit. I used OSMC_TGT_rbp2_20150519.img, which I think is RC3.
I also configured both eth OSMC and Kodi for my preferences.
Right now the unit is moved to the final destination with no Internet access for the RPi and I am back home. There has been an announcement for the release version today.
QUESTION:
Can I somehow update the existing installation to Release from a downloadable file I can get while I am at home and bring out to the remote unit on my laptop disk? Note that the Pi will not have Internet access for some time (across summer) but I can carry files back and forth on my laptop or on a thumb drive.
Can I for example have some update files on a thumb drive and plug into the USB of the RPi?

This is more tricky Iā€™m afraid.

Weā€™ve never planned this, but itā€™s theoretically possible to upgrade an existing RC3 install, copy /var/cache/apt/archives/* to the new system and then run apt-get dist-upgrade. Youā€™d also need to copy packages list too

S

Except apt-get dist-update will need Internet access, right?
What will happen if I stay with RC3 for the summer and do the update in September?
Will I be able then to upgrade when I have the unit at home or will the ā€œupgrade timeā€ have expired (if there is such a thing)?

Not if the necessary packages are there. See apt-cdrom for an example

It will upgrade just fine. Enjoy the break

S

You can stay on your current version for as long as you like and update to whatever the then-current version is when it suits you.

1 Like

OK, then Iā€™ll do that. And after the arctic spring in Sweden summer has finally arrived yesterday, so we need the vacation. :slight_smile: