Can RPi 3B play 1080p Netflix?

Hi there,
So I want to set up a OSMC media box, and want to include Netflix with it. I saw a guide online about how to do this, and I tried it out on my RPi 3B. It worked successfully, and I started playing a 1080p video through Netflix. It worked in 1080p, but I noticed that the video was going slower than the audio, and it wasn’t just behind. When I paused the video, the video kept on going for a bit, most likely to try and catch up with the actual video, before it stopped at the exact point that the audio was at. I have not yet tested another 1080p video, even with a media file, but I was wondering if there is a limit for the RPi 3B, and if that exists on all the RPi models, because if the RPi 4 doesn’t have the limit I would be happy to get one. I am using the latest version of OSMC on a SanDisk 16GB microSD card. The link to the guide is

and it works, just maybe not the way I want.
Thanks,
jhein48

It’s related to Bitrate so in theory very low Bitrate content ( like Cartoons) should play fine in 1080p but I encountered content that stuttered even at 720p

The RPi 4 is not a platform OSMC supports yet. Your 3B should be able to play Netflix in 720p without the issues your experiencing.

Thanks, but how do I switch to 720p?

How do I lower the bitrate for all shows and movies?

You can’t. It’s up to Netflix.

You can only lower the resolution from 1080p to 720p or even lower. Because higher the resolution higher the Bitrate needs to be for the content to look good

Well, how do I do that? I want 1080p, but if i cant get that, 720p will have to do.

I think 720p should be the default setting. But maybe someone else can confirm.

To find out the resolution of the Netflix video you are watching press the 3 lines button on vero remote during playback

Select the Netflix plug-in and go into “Configure” rather than “Open”, then look in the “Expert” section.

Thanks!