Can you ssh into ur atv to reimage the og software?

ok so i love the osmc set up, it looks amazing and so far (until i tried to update) i have had no issues,

but it is time to start over from scratch, now can u re-image the original appletv software back onto the harddrive thru ssh?

if so how and where do u get this software? i had it in a saved bookmark but cant find this bookmark, i tried to reuse my usb stick i had originally used to install osmc but it wouldnt work…

BEST WAY TO RE DO THE APPLE TV OG SOFTWARE:

EASY AS PI:

JUST FOUND THIS AND DID THIS AND IT TOOK ME ALL OF MAYBE 2 MIN…

1 Like

We don’t have an original firmware installer anymore, but you can get the software from:

http://mesu.apple.com/data/OS/061-7495.20100210.TAVfr/2Z694-6013-013.dmg

You want to use dmg2img, then partition the disk and extract the files to it. There are some tutorials for this on the web.

If by starting from scratch, you mean OSMC, this is a lot easier and can be done from Download - OSMC.

Sam

how can it be done using osmc? i plugged the usb stick i used originally, and all it did was bipas the usb stick and go right to osmc and then to a frowny face…

i went ahead and reformatted the usb stick and its installing osmc right now,

thanks sam!! appreciate all the work uve done, any donation sections?

Hi

There isn’t a clear tutorial on this yet, but I can get one done. Restoring the old firmware is important sometimes.

If you want OSMC, then you don’t need to install the original software. If you’re having issues with updates, and you’re not sure how to proceed, please wait until the January update, when new images will be published.

Much appreciated: see OSMC.

Sam