Can't get 'RETURN' button working on LG TV

I’m at my wits’ end trying to get this working. I have a RasPi2 with the latest version of OSMC, as well as an LG SL90 TV with an MKJ61841804 remote. Every button works perfectly fine, except the RETURN button.

No matter what I do, I can’t get it working. Originally, I tried SSHing in and running irrecord -d /dev/lirc0 /home/osmc/lircd.conf, but /dev/lirc0 did not exist. I searched around for a while before coming up with a /boot/config.txt that looks like this:

gpu_mem_1024=256
disable_overscan=1
start_x=1
disable_splash=1
dtoverlay=lirc-rpi,gpio_out_pin=19,gpio_in_pin=23

This allowed me to at least run irrecord, but then I can’t get it to actually register anything; no dots show up and it times out.

Please, can somebody tell me what I am doing wrong? Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

The best way to check on this is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. We could then see if Kodi is recognizing the RETURN button at all. It could be that is mapped to some other button.

You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

Hi,

Here’s the log: https://paste.osmc.tv/arovubejuc

OK, so I missed on what needed to be logged.

I’m not sure how to do this inside Kodi, but since you are comfortable with the shell, if you edit ~osmc/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml to add/change the <debug> section to the following:

<debug>
  <extralogging>true</extralogging>
    <setextraloglevel>64,1024,16384</setextraloglevel>
    <showloginfo>false</showloginfo>
</debug>

Then, restart Kodi (systemctl restart mediacenter) and navigate around a bit, making sure you hit the RETURN button at some point. Hit it a few times in a row so that we can find it better.

Thanks.

Done! Here it is: https://paste.osmc.tv/unitipehet
Just FYI, advancedsettings.xml at that path didn’t exist, so its only content was the XML you gave me.

You need to surround it with advancedsettings tags, so it should look like this:

<advancedsettings>
 <debug>
  <extralogging>true</extralogging>
    <setextraloglevel>64,1024,16384</setextraloglevel>
    <showloginfo>false</showloginfo>
 </debug>
</advancedsettings>

To avoid confusion. Can you shortly confirm that you don’t use that remote via an additional IR receiver connected to the Pi but just via CEC function of the HDMI connection?

If that is the case irrecord will not be part of the process and the likely hood of the button working is towards 0

Yes, I’m using the CEC function so the TV passes on the signal. If this means the back button won’t work,I will be unable to use OSMC.

LG (like many other brands) is very selective on which buttons they transmit via CEC. None of my two LG TV’s transmit the back button therefore I use the OSMC remote instead

Did you try the keymap editor add-on? I think it’s the easiest way to assign a button to whatever command possible.

That only works if the key is transmitted to OSMC

@iObject

Follow the instructions on the page linked below to find out exactly which CEC keys are being transmitted by your TV.