Can't install with windows installer - error archive extracting

When I am using the installer for a Raspberry Pi on my Windows 8.1 Laptop it tells me this:

An error occurred extracting the archive!
Please consult the logfile.

I tried with an already downloaded osmc alpha 4 archive and with a download with in the installer. I configured OSMC with Wireless.

Can you upload the log file, it will be in C:\Users\YourUserName and called installer.log

You can upload it to paste.osmc.io

I’m having the same problem. Tried on 2 different computers. Managed to get it to work once by downloading the image manually and overwriting where the installer was expecting to find the image. I’ve uploaded my log file to here: http://paste.osmc.io/tovekaqela.pas.

Anything else I can do to help troubleshoot, let me know.

EDIT: Should mention that this is using the RC build, and I also tried with the build from the download folder generated on 31/3. It’s for Raspberry Pi 2 and I’ve got the right files according to the names.

Do you have Norton / Symantec AV?

No, plain Windows 8.1 (64 bit) and the Security Essentials package built into that.

well you could try to do it in safemode, normally its a bad idea, but give a try :smiley:

I hit this as well just now.

In my case it turned out to be the download, which was 1k long.
I selected the previous version from the download list and this time it worked.
So it may just be a glitch in the down loader.

Log file showed no errors, so not much use,

Edit: I am pretty sure that I selected 2017-10-01 for the first download (and got 1k of that according to the file name). Second download I selected one version earlier which would be 2017-08-01. but the filename was OSMC_TGT_rbp2_20171001.img.gz so something very strange is going on with the interaction between the menu system and the downloader.
O.K. - checked the log file and the remaining files on disc.
What seems to have happened is that the first download was for:

“Mon 6. Nov 15:22:50 2017 Extracting C:/Users/David/OSMC_TGT_rbp2_20171102.img.gz”

Which gave a 1k gzip and 0k image.

Second run downloaded OSMC_TGT_rbp2_20171001.img.gz which worked fine, although I’m pretty sure that I selected the 08-01 option.

I think that the menu and the file downloaded have managed to get out of step; that is the log file shows files which match the menu when the installer checks, but when an actual download is performed there is a different file delivered.
Part way through updating the downloads?

The filename and the date of the release are not correlated.

I’ve just checked and I can’t reproduce the problem. If you download the image from osmc.tv/download manually and try to extract, do you still experience this problem?

Sam

Got both files O.K.
Confirmed that they are OSMC_TGT_rbp2_20171102.img.gz and OSMC_TGT_rbp2_20171001.img.gz (which wierdly correspond to 10-01 and 08-01 which in turn does my head in slightly).
So it looks like a glitch in the download which perhaps should be logged in the log file?

I can’t reproduce the problem here unfortunately.
Try again in a couple of hours.

Sam

Thanks Sam.
As above, problem seems to have gone away.
Have an install of 08-01 and the gzip for 10-01 if I need it.

I had the same issue and checking the downloaded image showed the following

302 Found

Found

The document has moved here.


Apache/2.4.39 (Unix) Server at ftp.acc.umu.se Port 80

Obviously some of the mirrors are broken. So the solution is to manually download the image and install using a local image instead of using the download feature in the installer

The last post is almost two years old.

The UMU mirror is working fine here: Mirrorlist /osmc/download/sync and I am unable to reproduce the issue.