Can't remove hard drive anymore

Hi,

I have a raspberry pi3 with the latest osmc version. Since a week or two ago, I can’t remove my usb hard drive anymore.

I go to the file manager, click and hold on the hard drive for a second or two and release, and the remove button pops up.

But when I click on it nothing happens. It used to work fine. Not sure if this happened after an update.

The hard drive never stops spinning and I only need to use it for an hour every day when y kid watches his shows, so I usually leave it off.

Any idea on how to fix this? Is there a way to reinstall osmc and not loose all my settings/kodi addons ?

Thanks.

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/how-do-i-operate-it-safely-to-remove-the-usb-drive-in-the-osmc

Hi, I had similar issues. Safe remove was not working. I used SSH to see what are the underlying issues. It turned out umount gives error message:

Unmount failed: Error unmounting: umount exited with exit code 32: umount: /media/....: target is busy
        (In some cases useful info about processes that
         use the device is found by lsof(8) or fuser(1).)

let’s see how to find what causes this target is busy error msg.

_first SSH to the OSMC, _
find the mountpoint. /media/xxxx.
install lsof package.
run: sudo lsof /media/xxxxxxx/

you got something like:

COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
kodi.bin 4980 osmc 87u REG 8,1 12288 5111810 /media/xxxx/downloads/torrents.db

turns out kodi itself blocks the drive. there is an added plugin for torrent and a defined directory to save on the usb drive. It blocks the drive, umount won’t work.

Disabled the plugin or delete the config

And now SAFE remove works again!