COMXImageFile::GetCodingType progressive images not supported by decoder

Hi guys,

I’ve just noticed that my kodi logs are full of errors like this one
COMXImageFile::GetCodingType progressive images not supported by decoder

Someone can help me on that topic to find the root cause? :slight_smile:

I’m using Artic Zephyr as skin and pictures are coming from extrafanart.

21:17:26 95520.187500 T:1178067952 WARNING: COMXImageFile::GetCodingType progressive images not supported by decoder
21:17:26 95520.210938 T:1178067952 WARNING: Previous line repeats 1 times.
21:17:26 95520.226562 T:1178067952  NOTICE: LoadJpeg: unable to load smb://LACIE-CLOUDBOX/Family/TV Shows/Dark Net/extrafanart/1116983.jpg

It means the VideoCore cannot accelerate the decode of the JPEG, so it must go to the ARM. This had a more significant impact in the days of Pi 1, but with a Pi2/Pi3 this isn’t much of an issue anymore.

It means that loading the images will be slower, but it’s not really an error. It should probably be changed to a warning instead.

Edit: I skimmed that, but after seeing your log again (and checking the CLog call), I can see it’s already a Warning, not an error.

Sam

Thanks @sam_nazarko for this fast answer, like always :slight_smile:
I’m on pi3 and yes, I don’t feel any impact but I’m checking freqently my logs to try to reduce errors.

Is there something I can do against that? Except reprocessing the picture manually?

I don’t think so – the issue is with the source of the image.

So without re-encoding it, it won’t change the situation. But it doesn’t matter about the logging. It’s not an error and it’s not causing any problems.