Configure IR on OSMC remote

Hello,

I’m running OSMC on a Pi3 and use the OSMC remote control.

I noticed that it also transmits infrared signals and I was wondering if it’s possible to configure them so that my TV can understand it. Mostly I would like to be able to turn it on or off with only one remote similar to the way a more recent FireTV does. (The TV is rather old and doesn’t appear to support CEC).

I searched this forum and the OSMC support page but didn’t find anything. The search terms I used may have been too broad so if you could point me into the right direction that would be appreciated. :slight_smile:

Regards,
Misel

No the OSMC is using radio not infrared.

AFAIK the FireTV remote is also radio not infrared means it must be doing that via CEC.
Are you sure your TV is not CEC capable

I’m aware of the radio capabilities of both remote controls. The OSMC talks to the USB dongle with Radio Waves and so does the FireTV remote talk to the Fire TV.

However both remote controls also have an IR Led. The FireTV remote uses this IR port to talk to the TV set directly for turning it on or off and changing the volume.

I’ve made a short video here that hopefully proves my point. The first part shows both remotes with their IR LEDs. Part two proves that the FireTV talks to the TV set directly using IR - and cannot do that when I block the signal with my hand while I can still move through the menu.

It seems that the IR LED of the OSMC remote control is not widely known. Is there anyway - preferably without disassembly - to get to know more about it? Especially, if the IR codes are programmable?

The OSMC remote does not have IR. What you are seeing is the activity status LED.

IR stands for infrared, as in light that is being transmitted outside of the visible spectrum. The newer FireTV remotes have an extra LED that transmits this signal, but for that to work their also has to exist circuitry and software to drive it and none of that exists in the OSMC remotes.

The blue light on the OSMC remote is just an indicator light so users can see if the remote is ‘doing’ something. We just use an IR window look for cosmetic purposes.