Context Menu empty

I’ve just rebuilt my Raspberry Pi 3 system and couldn’t get a Context Menu to pop - up. So thinking it might be due to the key on my remote not being mapped I re-mapped it.

The Context Menu slides out from the LHS but is completely empty.

The system is:-
OSMC build from 2020.10-1.
Linux 4.19.122-2
Keymap Editor 1.1.3

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

This is an old version of OSMC. Is there a reason you can’t update?

Not knowing what skin your using and where in the UI you are doesn’t really help answer the “completely empty” question, but since you used keymap editor to fix this key all you should need to do is the same as you did before but keymap it in global to “context menu” and not “menu” as the former certainly the one you were actually looking for and the latter what you actually mapped for.

Thanks for the replies.

I guess it was obvious that a suggestion to update would be made :slight_smile: So some background to this.

I was originally running the versions I stated above but got there by updates from earlier versions. The system was stable so no reason to update further. The problem was that I suspected that the SD Card was beginning to experience drop outs so I wanted to build a new similar system on a new SD Card.

I tried the latest version of OSMC but although this sounds trivial couldn’t configure the OSMC Skin background colours to match what I had previously - the background gradient didn’t seem to work, whereas it did on my earlier build.

This is why I went for the same release as I had been running. All was well until a couple of days ago when I wanted to use the Context Menu but the usual remote key didn’t do anything. I thought maybe it would need the remote key mapped to this function and consequently downloaded the latest keymap editor.

The latest keymap editor is very different from my previous build but I managed to find the entry for the Context Menu and mapped the ‘0’ key to this. When I press the ‘0’ key there is a window that slides out from the LHS but it contains no entries.

So although the two builds are supposedly the same on each SD Card, the Keymap Editor is different. Both are using the OSMC Skin.

I’ll put the old SD Card back in and just check versions to be sure and also to make sure the Context Menu does work with the OSMC skin as I only switched to this (from Estuary Mod) some weeks ago.

Thanks

I’ve just tried my old system which is the same release and with the OSMC skin the Context Menu works as it should.

I’ve noted that the Keymap Editor is an older version so maybe this is where the problems lies. I’ll post something on the Kodi Forum for add-ons and see what they have to say.

Thanks

I doubt that keymap editor is causing a fault here. Can you post the contents of ~/.kodi/userdata/keymaps/gen.xml

As requested…

<keymap>
<videos>
<keyboard>
<key id="250">activatewindow(contextmenu)</key>
</keyboard>
</videos>
<programs>
<keyboard>
<key id="250">activatewindow(contentsettings)</key>
<key id="250">activatewindow(contextmenu)</key>
</keyboard>
</programs>
</keymap>

Either manually change that files contents to…

<keymap>
<global>
<keyboard>
<key id="250">contextmenu</key>
</keyboard>
</global>
</keymap>

or go back into keymap editor and “reset to default” then edit>global>navigation>context menu>edit key> which should produce a file that looks like what I posted here just without the line breaks.

Thank you so much for that. It now works.

Out of curiosity I looked at the old build and what you stated was in its file.

Do you think its the new Keymap Editor that has builts the expression incorrectly?

Thanks
Again

I don’t think there is a fault in the new Keymap editor and when I tested it I didn’t find a fault. The keymap editor is very basic and doesn’t have much in the way of making sure someone doesn’t do something that would cause them issues, or just not work. It seems to me that what happened here is that you just navigated to the wrong places and told it to do the wrong things. What you did is go to the video library and add-on windows and told it when you pressed a key to open a particular window in isolation which is why it was empty. The keymap editor wasn’t written to check for this type of mistakes. It output valid mapping in a valid xml file which is what it should do, even if the result was something other than what you intended.