Crash after updates are installed (RP2)

Raspberry Pi 2 running OSMC_TGT_rbp2_20160130

To my knowledge, this is the latest install? Still, RP2 wants to update but I had to turn them off.

I was wondering, when it is safe to turn them on again? It´s been 2 months of updates ruining everything.

Thx.

Well I really don’t understand what makes you believe that updates are “unsafe” as there are thousands of people doing them without an issue.
Secondly latest Image is OSMC_TGT_rbp2_20160403.img.gz

I dont know. I am sorry if I am annoying your conception of a flawless working RP2 experience.

I just thought I would bother to register and let you guys know.
Maybe tell me if I am doing anything wrong. Although, I can¨t think of anything - its an automatic installation.

Well first do an installation of the latest version (best with the OSMC Installer)
Then do another update via MyOSMC

If you have any problem afterwards please report back and provide full debug logs. Please see How to submit a useful support request - General - OSMC for advice on how to help us.

Also ensure that you have a sufficient power supply (good cable) and a quality SD Card.

Just backup sdcard before you update (e.g. with win32diskimager).
If something goes wrong you can recover from the backup in 10 minutes.

Thank you, I will of course try with the latest. Sorry, I did´nt see that.

I am using a 5V 4A charger for maximum stability and no overclocking and I am not much into doing anything manually in Linux, but I will give it a try with the log if this doesnt work.
Although a Pi is just an easy-to-trash 50 dollar media center, you guys at least deserve some feedback.

For that there is the Log Uploader directly available in the GUI at MyOSMC

The problem in a nutshell here is, I am not even getting to start up OSMC to upload the log.

Installing the 60130 installation, it runs fine. When updating, I am getting the loop of sad smileys.
Installing the 60403 installation, it installs fine but there is a lot of text saying “Failed” during startup, then halts.

There is an installation log saying “Thu Jan 1 00:04:02 1970 Successful installation. Dumping log and rebooting system”

Unfortunately, there seems to be no error logs on the disk for me to show you.

A picture of the screen showing the failed errors would be helpful.

Sounds like you have a hardware problem though if you can’t even boot a fresh install successfully…

My P2 runs the previous version (60130) just fine, but updates are a no-go.

A 50" TV screenshot captured by a camera is rarely a delight to anyone.
However, I wrote down some of the passages (maybe to some degree of help):

20.5065671 EXT4 fs error (device mmcblk0p2): ext4 - read_inode_bitmap:223 comm command cannot read inode bitmap - block group = 16, inode bitmap = 524304

EXT4 - fs error (device mmcblk0p2) in add_dirent_to_buf:1894: Journal has aborted.

Failed to start LSB: Start NTP daemon ..

Failed to start Update UTMP about system run level changes.

If you are looking for something specific, please let me know.

On a sidenote, I am curious to know why the OSMC installation is formatting my 32GB PNY SD-card down to a weeny 243mb drive, making it useless for storage?
And how can it be some custom skins are made incompatible with OSMC after an update?

The errors your posted clearly indicate file system corruption and/or problems reading the SD card.

If it “worked” in previous versions its likely that your SD card is not compatible with the sdhost driver. (which became the default SD card driver in a recent update, as the Pi 3 requires it for Wifi)

You can try adding dtoverlay=mmc to config.txt as a workaround but I would suggest that you try a different brand of SD card such as a Samsung or Sandisk as PNY are not a particularly good brand of SD card.

There are two partitions on the SD card - a 256MB FAT32 partition which contains the kernel and a few early boot files, the rest of the card is formatted as ext4 and is the main root file system. You will not be able to see this ext4 file system on a Windows PC or Mac. (At least not without additional software installed)

Excellent information, DBMandrake. I did not know this, thank you :slight_smile:

I am sure this thread will be of help to others as well.

As long as you can access the device by ssh you always can upload logs with grab-logs -A

Well I think you have to be a bit more clear what you mean with “custom skins” but between your January version and the current version there was an upgrade from Kodi v15 to Kodi v16. With Kodi v16 there where several changes that made many skins incompatible.
All that was explained in the release news on this Webpage.
And it is recommended to switch to OSMC skin before any upgrade, you can switch back afterwards.