Create home partition on microSD: could be a good idea?

Hi all!
I’m just asking myself if could be a good idea to resize the /dev/root partition to have two separate partitions: one for the system and one for the data (home)…
This is the result of “df -h” comand applyed on my Raspy with a 32GB microSD:
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 29G 2.1G 26G 8% /
devtmpfs 363M 0 363M 0% /dev
tmpfs 367M 0 367M 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 367M 5.0M 362M 2% /run
tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
tmpfs 367M 0 367M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p1 240M 18M 222M 8% /boot
/dev/sda1 917G 627G 244G 73% /media/STORAGE
tmpfs 74M 0 74M 0% /run/user/1000

How can I resize, create the second partition for the data and move on it the home folder?
How many GB do you suggest me to configure for the system partition?
Any drawback with OSMC?

Thanks!

What do you hope to achieve by creating a separate home partition ?

I can’t see any benefit to doing so, only drawbacks, such as dividing your free space among partitions.

I think that, generally speaking, separating the data (home) and the system (root) in at least two partitions or better yet two separate HDs is a good idea because in this way if somethink bad occurs on the root partition you can easly restore the system, upgrade or change OS distribution keeping all your personal data safe.
With more HDs it could be possioble to use RAID for better performance on system or/and backup home space and so on…

On a Raspy with OSMC if the pourpose is just to have a multimedia center with all the data on the USB HD or a NAS maybe it will not so important splitting the microSD but generally speaking and on a Raspy that make the role of a little server with differents users and private data on the microSD I think it could be fine. That’s just my 2 cents guys. :smile:

Anyway… do you think I could have trouble with OSMC after splitting the root and the home partition on the microSD? WIth the standard installation of OSMC is it possible to choose a partition where the OSMC will be installed? I only use the option to select the microSD and formatting all…

You should not use the SD card to store media (data). Use an external drive (USB) or network attached drive.

Yes, of course all my multimedia files are stored in an external USB HD… I’m speaking about user’s private data, the typical home Linux folder because I’d like to create other users then osmc in my Raspy with theyr own private data.

You won’t be able to “restore the system”, nor “upgrade or change OS distribution” whilst maintaining your existing home directory by having a separate home partition on your SD card.

This is not some desktop PC with a hard drive we’re talking about here. When you run the OSMC installer it will partition and wipe the entire SD card. You will also not be able to switch between different distributions while keeping the same home partition intact, therefore there is no point in creating a separate home partition, and it is very likely going to cause you problems because we have not allowed for the possibility of a separate home partition when designing OSMC, it’s quite likely that it would break some of the scripting.

If you are worried about not losing your media when reinstalling you should have a separate drive for media - a partition on the SD card will not suffice.

Thanks for clarification. I think I may live well without separate partition on my Raspy as well. :smile: