Denon 3808CI, Optical and DTS-HD.MA TrueHD7.1Atmos

So I’v been reading these forums for the last 2 weeks as I just upgraded my old Western Digital Live (still works) to get something to drive a new 65" 4K TV. Redid my Synology NAS using NFS.
First movie was a regular 1080p DTS. Could not get 5.1 but I turned on some of VERO 4K audio options and was able to get 5.1 That was last weekend.

This weekend I tried a MKV with this is the title: 2160p.UHD.BluRay.x265.10bit.HDR.DTS-HD.MA.TrueHD.7.1.Atmos. Go video, no sound. I have a Denon 3808CI circa 2008-2009 with HDMIv1 so I use Optical S/PDIF for audio and HDMI for video (VERO direct to TV).

Went back into the Vero 4k Audio settings and saw where I had enabled the TrueHD. Toggled it off and the 5.1 Dolby Digital popped up on on my old AVR. Video played back flawlessly.

I’m not using the march update.

Have not tried any other 2160p files yet so maybe it’s a fluke or the force was we me :wink:

CEH in MD

Hi,

If you post some logs, we should be able to see what’s going on.

If the AVR is from 2008/2009 and doesn’t support TrueHD you will indeed need to disable this option.

Cheers

Sam

Did you read this info?
https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/connecting-up-your-audio-setup-audio-settings/82441/5

Via SPDIF you would only enable DD and DTS non of the other formats.

Sam, I originally turned it on due what I read about my AVR (see below). I forgot HDMI is actually 1.3 but I stopped using it in 2013 when I got a 3D TV and it needed v1.4 I don’t watch 3D anymore (does anyone?)

I think optical has some limits and I need HDMIv1.4 or higher for 21060p. Read somewhere on this forum about a HDMI 1-to-2 gizmo. Anyhow my new V4k+ rocks!

CEH in MD

The HDMI connections boast the latest 1.3 specification, meaning they pass a full 1080p video signal with 36-bit Deep Color for unsurpassed color reproduction on compatible TVs. Also supported, via Denon’s newly developed Dynamic Discrete Surround Circuit-HD, are the new Dolby TrueHD and dts-HD Master Audio surround-sound formats now available on Blu-ray and HD DVD high-definition discs. And your existing 480p DVD collection will look better than ever with 1080p scaling provided by Faroudja’s industry-standard-setting DCDi chip.