Denon X4400H with Vero4k

Dear guys,

I just received my Vero 4k box today. It should have been the fire and forget solution for all my HD Audio files. I have read the other threads with Passthrough problems with some Denon X4300H but not with the X4400H.
I understood that the DTS HD HRS is a problem on all of them but Dolby ATMOS and DTS:X, TrueHD and the rest should be fine.

Running vero4k with 3.14.29-69-osmc
My Denon X4400 has the newest firmware.
I have set the settings for 7.1, best match, passthrough all on and I get strange effects.

I get strange effects playing the sample files from kodi. Sometimes an Atmos File is Atmos sometimes TrueHD with no Audio and sometimes only Unkown is passed with no sound. Qll with 7.1, best match and passthrough enabled. The only way I can fix it somehow is turning my AVR on and off while playing.

So what are the best settings for the Denon X4400 using Vero 4k ?
What is the best version of OSMC to use in the moment ?
And why is turning off and on the receiver fixing the playback ?

I know this might be quite redundant but just a quick summary of the best settings and the status quo would be great !

First thing is to try our latest improvements.

1. Login via the command line
  2. Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list
  3. Add the following line: deb http://apt.osmc.tv stretch-devel main
  4. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  5. Your system should have have received the update.

Please see if the issue is resolved.

I also recommend you edit /etc/apt/sources.list again and remove the line that you added after updating. This will return you to the normal update channel.

These changes will be in the next update scheduled for the end of this month.

Please upload some logs via My OSMC so we can verify your audio settings are also correct.

Rest assured, we’ll work this out for you.

Sam

The passthrough problems should hopefully be gone with the staging build, Sam provided you the instructions for. At least the 4300H is not affected by the HRA issue as it doesn’t have a Cirrus Logic chipset. The 4400H shouldn’t be affected by this either.

The explanation why the audio signal is picked up again after turning your AVR off and back on is pretty simple: The Denon AVRs with Analog Devices chipsets (X4x00 and above) are not only relying on the HDMI header information like most smaller and cheaper AVRs. Those chipsets are capable of doing a bitstream analysis which enables them to pickup a signal after turning it off and back on mid-stream.
This also enables them to be less likely to pick up signals the wrong way, but passthrough was quite messed up so that even those AVRs couldn’t pick up the signal properly sometimes (as said before, this should be fixed in staging now). So, when starting an audio stream from the Vero with your current build, the AVR is confused by the difference between the HDMI header information and the bitstream analysis. After turning it off and back on, it will just rely on the analysis and therefore pick up the signal properly. That’s what I’ve understood so far and what seemed to make sense during testing… No guarantee that this is 100% what is really happening though :innocent:

Update:
All working now

First of all thank you Sam for the quick response. I changed to to devel release. And it improved on the first glimpse the playback of almost all Atmos files I have. Looks good so far.
I also offer my help to get everything running on the Denon X4400H.

@Chillbo Thanks for the sehr ausführliche und gute Erklärung. It seems quite ok. Just wondering what they did to trick the Denon to not get confused.

Hey TheJay,

I am also running a Vero 4K with a Denon X4400H and have no problem playing any audio-filetype at all.
I downloaded all the Atmos, dts:X and Auro-3D demos from that page and tried them, all work well, the receiver detects all formats correctly.
As I am running the same settings you do, it’s strange you have those problems.

You know that the receiver saves the audio settings for each different input signal? Maybe you just selected the wrong format once…

Best regards,
Marc

Hi @marc.breuer , thats great. You are right ! I tested some further. Sometimes the files get corrupted while downloading. I redownloaded the samples and can play them all now.
I tested on the latest Denon firmware and the latest dev build.
You have the same ?

Dolby True HD - works
DTS HD MA - works
Dolby Atmos - works
DTS-HD HRA - works

superb !

2 Likes

Yes, all the same for me.

1 Like