Does Pi 2 and quad core help wireless speed?

I’m thinking of upgrading to a Pi 2 since after just a few minutes ago re-reading the info on it and realizing I completely missed the fact that it is quad core.

My question is does OSMC take good advantage of that? Or is it still tailored for the older single core Pi’s.

I also wonder if it would be enough of a upgrade to help with getting better speed out of a WiFi connection since all my other Pi’s do not have enough resources to get enough speed to real time watch a 40 mbit (Full uncompressed Blu-Ray) even over NFS. I’m hoping maybe a extra core can be used for speeding up WPA2 encryption and processing the wireless data to help with this.

WPA2-AES uses less cpu grunt when compared to TKIP.

The increase in overall CPU grunt does increase USB throughput.

What network do you have? 54G, N, A/C ?

1 Like

My network is wpa2-aes 5ghz N only and the network adapter when plugged into my laptop is more then fast enough 11 megabytes consistent it’s just when it is in the Pi is lucky to hold 1 megabyte which that 8 megabit is far from the 40 I need.

I also tried a second adapter that is really common on the pi tplink brand (I just changed the network to include 2.4ghz since that adapter isn’t dual) and got the same speeds.

The nfs server is Linux and gigabit wired to the router

You’re gonna struggle to watch a 40mbit movie over wifi at the best of times, and wifi decryption doesnt take that much effort.

I was hoping the quad core would help but I guess not, ducks that my other devices work great and can watch the videos great. This issue is the only thing stopping a couple people I know from getting Pi’s and seriously limiting my use. Because wires are not a option in some places.

Powerline adapters have come along nicely and perform pretty well, might be worth checking them out.

I know I have some and they work but just not in all my uses since I make one of my Pis portable. Also one place that would of bought one can’t even use Pauline since the place is so old that it only has three spots in the house to plug stuff in. And needs a lot of splitters to be able to run everything. So dedicating two wall plugs to power line adapters since they can’t be into siege protectors wouldn’t happen to save a life.

Plug the surge protector into the powerline adapter.
Some models are passthrough.

I might look into that but probably not something that would happen from a cost point since they don’t have that much money.

Now ignoring that problem how does OSMC UI resposiveness compare from the new model to old single core models. I don’t expect the UI or any one feature to be multithreaded but at least it may be able to have a more dedicated core for the UI will other stuff like decoding audio to analog or decoding non hardware video codecs shouldn’t slow down the UI as much since they can be on different cores.

It’s pretty safe to say that everything put on the RPi2 runs faster and better than on the Rpi.

You could buffer the movie by using the advancedsettings.xml file, if I don’t remember it wrong.