Extremely slow directory listing via CIFS (with workaround)

Not sure if this is Vero4K specific or not, i do not have another OSMC platform right now.
Vero4K, latest software version, kodi configured for a network share via CIFS to a Linux server running Samba.

Entering directory with ca. 1800 subdirectories (each one with a TV recording) or in another instance 2000 files (each a recording), it takes Kodi somthing like 2 minutes to display the directory. Worse yet, when stopping the playback, it takes the same time again, except that now kodi displays black picture for 2 minutes.

1Gbps Ethernet or WiFi, no big difference.

When i use “mount -t cifs …” to mount the share in linux and then let Kodi access the share, there is no such problem, directory is displayed within 3 seconds. So this is the workaround i use.

But i have not experienced such a bad CIFS directory access speed on other Kodi platforms, so i wonder. And the workaround can not be used by users without CLI knowledge, so it is ugly.

Did you try with kernel-based mount instead of user-based mount?

Please provide the whole mount statement you previously used.

What’s the CPU and HDD/SSD load of the Linux server during the access?

Since you’re already using a Linux server, is running an NFS share on it an option for you?

On the vero4k:

mount -t cifs -o username=xxx,password=xxx //ip-addr/share /mnt/share

top shows me CPU load on dhd_dpc, and that seems to be in the kernel.

i could run NFS, sure, but i am trying to figure out if cifs in kodi on vero4k would work for friends that don’t have nfs server. Am i the only one seeing this slow cifs access speed on vero4k ?

btw: wasn’t too shappy now when i retested. 20 seconds instead of 2 minutes. Yesterday i must have been still using wifi (see problem in other thread). But still, using the kernel mount is snappy in either case.

What you describe is very unusual. Although Kodi-based SMB is expected to be slower than kernel-based SMB, the difference shouldn’t be that large. Clearly something isn’t working correctly.

If possible, I would suggest that you try the Vero4K on your friend’s network, since there might be something unusual about your own SMB server configuration that is causing this issue. On your own network, you can always move to a kernel-based mount, either SMB or NFS.