Fast forward, rewind

Hi, I have installed the June update on my three Raspberry Pi3. Unfortunately the fast forward and rewind with picture does not work anymore. In the previous version (March update) it worked fine at least at four times the speed. In the current version only a still picture is visible.

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

This is not a feature that i’m aware has existed in stock Kodi. I don’t have any of my OSMC boxes still running the previous version but I tried it on a RPi 4 running LibreElec still using Kodi 18.6 and the ff/rw did nothing. I could find no keymap action to provide this function or any reference to such a thing with a quick web search. Were you using a particular skin or add-on that was providing this extra function? The only option for slideshow speed is in settings>player>pictures>amount of time to display each image. You can manually advance or view previous images by using either the left/right direction or chapter +/-.

In the picture viewer you get a static picture if you select an item with the enter/OK/select button. You would press play to enter slideshow mode.

I think Ernesto means fast forward and rewind during a video. It’s the [r] and [f] key.
It still works on my Pi3 but it’s a pretty though task for a Pi and also depends a lot on the media you play. I think you’re hitting the max the video decoder can handle. If I compare a youtube 720p h264 stream on my laptop with a core m3, absolutely no powerhouse, it plays 32x smoother than a Pi3 4x

1 Like

That’s exactly what I meant - faster than 4x has never worked either, but with the current version it doesn’t work for several movies where it was possible to play. It is certainly true that the Pi3 is too weak for this. Let’s hope that it will work with the Pi4 when the corresponding OSMC software is available.

Skip steps (navigating with the direction keys/buttons) are a much more robust method for video navigation. If you don’t find the default lengths optimal they can be adjusted to suit your preference.

Currently this is not possible on Pi4 and I suspect this will remain the case for a long time.