First time Pi user, I'm having issues with my network and hard drive using OSMC

Hi it’s http://paste.osmc/voduqahayi

Sorry, http://paste.osmc.io/voduqahayi

Sorry think I’ve uploaded all logs, should I have uploaded any in particular

http://paste.osmc.io/voduqahayi . sorry about that something came up

Think I’ve uploaded all logs, was there any in particular

Think I’ve uploaded all logs, was there any in particular. Sorry about the slow response but I keep on replying the messages to myself, doh!

Sep 15 22:40:01 osmc udisks-glue[355]: Failed to automount /dev/sda1: Error mounting: mount exited with exit code 14: The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0).
Sep 15 22:40:01 osmc udisks-glue[355]: Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount.
Sep 15 22:40:01 osmc udisks-glue[355]: Failed to mount '/dev/sda1': Operation not permitted
Sep 15 22:40:01 osmc udisks-glue[355]: The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown
Sep 15 22:40:01 osmc udisks-glue[355]: Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume
Sep 15 22:40:01 osmc udisks-glue[355]: read-only with the 'ro' mount option.

Well, there’s your problem. To solve it you’re going to have to ssh into your Pi. If you’re using windows, google “Putty” and install that. It will allow you to log into your Pi over the network to fix the filesystem on the drive.

The username and password for OSMC are osmc and osmc respectively. :grinning: The hostname, oddly enough, is osmc.

First off, is there anything on this hard drive that you want? If you’re willing to reformat the drive it becomes very simple to fix.

Here is a very detailed explanation about what is going on with your drive and multiple ways to fix it. Have fun reading!

More likely with a flash drive is that you pulled the drive out on windows without first choosing to safely remove it.

Plug it back into windows, go into computer, right click the drive properties, choose to run a scan and fix any errors.

When finished make sure you choose eject from computer or safely remove from the system tray and wait until it says it’s safe to remove it before unplugging it and it should then work in OSMC.

Always use safely remove or eject in windows or you risk losing everything on the disk.

Likewise in OSMC there is a remove safely option in the context menu of the file lists in for example video->files which does the same thing and should be used before unplugging the drive. (Unless you shutdown first in which case it is not needed)

First I formated the hard drive, then I safely ejected it from windows

I formated the drive from my laptop, then safely ejected it, so I don’t think there should be anything on it

If there is nothing of value on it try formatting it again on your laptop then safely ejecting.

Something went wrong last time, hard to say what.

Thanks I will try that when I get home, will I still need to download Putty in order to control osmc? I’m sorry I’m not clued up on all this, I’m trying to get to know a bit about computing so that I can do projects with my 9yr old son, would be helpful with all information being for beginners, thanks

I was thinking that I should probably do an update, in case some in the future stumbles onto this page.

I ended up ordering the Transcend TS-HUB3K. It’s a great little HUB and can actually power the Pi2 as well without any issues, but that’s not how I have it set up though. I use two different power cables, one for the Pi2 and one for the Hub itself. Been running perfectly like that for a few months now.

The Pi2 itself is really impressive. It can handle full 1080p 16Mbps video without a hitch. It outperforms my 5 year old laptop in that regard. :smiley: I haven’t tried HEVC yet but I imagine that it will struggle with that.

The only slight annoyance I have is that the TVDB scrapper isn’t that great. I’ve had to manually make it detect most of my files, sometimes requiring a lot of name changes to get it to work, which is in contrast to the Movie scrapper, which detects everything without any issues. I guess that’s Kodi’s fault though, it’s not an OSMC issue.

Overall, I’m very glad that I went this route. It was a lot cheaper than buying a “Smart” TV to get similar functionality.