German DVB-T2 free to air supported / effort?

Hi,

anyone having hands-on experience with the Vero 4K together with the USB-Stick from the store to view the German DVB-T2 programs? While I’m already running a Raspi with OSMC, I have quite some experience with the software itself, but I’ve never been using a compliant receiver before. Thus I’d like to know if someone already got it working and what it (potentially) takes from a configuration perspective?

Furthermore, is the Vero 4K box together with current OSMC software powerful and functional enough to use two USB-Sticks in parallel. That is one for live viewing and the second one for recording another program, either to the local flash or to a NAS attached?

Thx,
Andreas

Configuration should be similar to the old DVB-T.
So just install tvheadend server from App Store, find the DVB-T2 Tuner, Scan for muxes/channels.
Than configure the tvheadend addon and you should be done.

Software and Hardware should be powerful enough to show one stream while recording another one. Problem might only be power for the two sticks. To overcome that you might need to get a powered hub.

Ok, it seems to be worth a trial at least.

Anyone to tell me the exact hardware / chipset contained in the DVB-T2 dongle from the store to check for additional references on compliance?

Thx

Compliance with what?

Compliance with German DVB-T2 HD as it is different to DVB-T2 at least in terms of the codec (H.265) being used there. I would like to understand if there are also differences in the receiver being used, for instance in terms of modulation and coding schemes.

Well, in Germany the DVB-T2 HD uses HEVC (H.265) coding whereas in other countries DVB-T2 runs with MPEG 4(H.264). So, the stick shouldn’t care about the demuxed data stream but I can understand AndreasK that he has some doubts about the correct interactions with all components to use like TVHeadend, etc.

As the Stick only reaches the Stream to the software (here OSMC/Kodi) to decode it the codec doesn’t play a role.

Valid point, but myunderstanding is that Frequencies and Modulation for germany is covered. But let’s see if either someone who has the stick already in Germany can answer or @sam_nazarko

I want to hear from someone that he or she got it working (and evtl. how).

I’m fully aware on the differences of H.264 vs. H.265 decoding and limitation, as well as assuming that DVB T2 signal transmission itself is a global standard.
On the contrary I didn’t even manage to get a cheap DVB-T/T2/C stick together with with OSMC and existing DVB-C working. That is I couldn’t even see the different multiplexes in tvheadend out of the box.

Saying that I simply want to get more confidence in the Vero 4K together with the offered USB dongle before buying it.

Hi there,

Sorry for the late reply, I’ve only just seen this.

Vero 4K and the DVB dongle are working in Germany and a few users are indeed using the dongle in Germany with success. However I don’t know what channels you will receive; and you will only get OTA (not encrypted) channels.

Simply install TVHeadend from OSMC’s App Store and follow the on-screen instructions

As always, we have a money back guarantee on all of our products, so that in the unlikely event they don’t work as expected, or you simply change your mind, you can return them without any hassle.

Sam