Hotspot wifi

Hello I have a Raspberry pi b+ and the latest version of osmc. I would like to have a hotspot wifi. I plugged an edimax dongle on the Raspberry, then I went to the network parameter, I selected “ethernet to wifi” option and clic on enable. The Following message appears : “error enabling hotspot see log for detail”. Is anybody knows what is the problem? Do I missed Something in the configuration? Thanks you very much in advance.

Might be the driver doesn’t support nl80211

Hello,

What is the nl80211? You mean that the dongle driver does not support that?

Thank you

nl80211 is required by connman to provide hotspot functionality and that need to be supported by the dongle driver

What is connman?

Connman is the network manager of OSMC

So ? What can I do ? Can you help me please ?
Thank you very much.

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

So, in summary:

• activate the logging
  • reboot the OSMC device
  • reproduce the issue
  • upload the log set either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A
  • publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

Hello, thank you for your help.
Here is the log : https://paste.osmc.tv/bacojatohe

Hi,

As pointed out fzinken, nl80211 is not supported by the driver.

Please confirm the dongle is a Edimax EW-7811Un ?

Thanks Tom

Yes the dongle is a Edimax EW-7811U
Do I have to buy another one?

Hi,

This may help:

https://jenssegers.com/43/realtek-rtl8188-based-access-point-on-raspberry-pi

Sorry but I’m not in a position to test, as I do not have the wifi dongle.

I would do a backup before trying this and it also probably worth waiting to see if @sam_nazarko has any thoughts.

Thanks Tom.

The driver doesn’t implement the necessary interface for tethering.
The upstream driver does, but it’s not very good.

Sam

1 Like

Hello,
So what can I do? Do I have to buy another dongle to manage to do my wifi hotspot?
Thank you