How big of a buffer on a 4K movie does OSMC maintain

4K UHD rips can max out at 128Mbps.
Not common, but there are a few titles that do start to hit these bitrates. This will probably become more common over the next year or so.

There isn’t any compression over the network. OSMC will take the raw stream bit for bit.

Cheers

Sam

The 4 “Batman” movies that recently came out on UHD Blu-Ray have video bitrates between 70 and 80 Mbps. Add in even one audio track, and you end up needing 75-85Mbps. If you keep all the audio tracks in a remux, you can easily hit 90Mbps average bitrate.

Note that even though you only listen to one audio track, every audio track in the file counts toward bitrate that has to be sent over the network, because of the way the tracks are interleaved.

Wow!

Order placed!

2 Likes

What’s interesting to me about all this is I don’t even use teh Gigabit LAN on my Vero 4K+, my drives are attached via USB2.0, which reads at about 25~35MBs in real world.
Even so, teh Kodi player hangs a little bit if skipping ahead (which I rarely do).
Plug the same drive into my Windows PC via USB3.0 and fire up MPC-HC and I can jump around and add it’s practically instantaneous.
So there is sometghing to how Kodi handles and fills the buffer that might be somewhat limitted by the Vero’s specs but a media player smaller than the external HDD that holds the content it’s playing and cost 1/10th the prive of my laptop can’t reasonably be expected to perform at the same level.
And really, you have to do less than common things to trip up the Vero in most cases.
I rarely skip chapters and even when I do I have no issue with the slight pause.
The 10+ seconds that the OP was reffering to could be a little annoying but it sounds like he’s made improvements.
There’s no reasonable amount of buffer you could expect from Kodi to handle jumping ahead a few chapters in a 50GB+ UHD remux.
Even if the Vero had 64GB of ram and you could load the entire file to memory, you’d have to wait a solid 10 minutes to fill the buffer initially anyway.
Even if the Vero had USB3.0 and your HDD was directly attached to the Vero it would take 5 minutes to cache the entire movie.
With the HDD directly attached there really shouldn’t even be a buffer, but for some reason the it appears the Kodi player still buffers even with USB drives.

How is the drive formatted?

All 3 are NTFS

@Kontrarian It wasnt just the 10 seconds delay - I could live with that if it is just one time. It was the constant cycling of it. Buffer…play for 30 seconds…buffer…play for 30 seconds…etc. Yes, thankfully, that seems to be resolved with autofs.

@sam_nazarko Out of curiosity, can the Vero’s CPU handle the work of playing a 4k movie off of a hard drive? I would image there would be more pressure on it being that it has to do more of the lifting when reading the data locally as opposed to a network share which offloads some of the work to the NAS CPU. Or is that cost pretty minimal?

Ernie

I would recommend avoiding NTFS if possible

4K playback is possible from local storage. Avoid NTFS if possible as there is a lot of overhead

1 Like

What’s the best file system for local storage? EXT4?

If the drive is only going to be connected to OSMC (or another linux system) then EXT4 is the best. If you need to connect the drive to Windows then exFAT is best. Avoid NTFS if you can as it’s slow on linux.

thanks, @bmillham! I didn’t know exFAT is preferable to NTFS.

NTFS is a FUSE (userspace driver) whereas exFAT is a kernel driver. Kernel drivers like EXT4 and exFAT will perform much better than a userspace driver.

2 Likes

ExFAT is still FUSE but is slightly better

Sam

1 Like