How long does the battery last?

You waited 1 year to say that you are still having the issue. How was someone going to help you if we didn’t know it was still a problem??? And during that year you used clearly fake batteries. So why would anyone think that there was a problem with the remote?

1 Like

So the stock remote ships with knock-off batteries too? I was pretty clear when I said it died after 1-2 months of light use and even suspected a hardware problem with the remote itself or the IR receiver. The frequency hopping problem was already a known issue, and no one said a word.

If the remote was frequency-hopping excessively for the past 1.5 years, then that was the problem, not the batteries. These “fake” batteries lasted exactly the same amount of time as a name-brand battery. They would likely still be working today if the underlying issue had been addressed.

We don’t ship ‘knock-off’ batteries.

The remote is clever enough to band-hop, and re-pairing should be an absolute last resort.
I don’t know if it will solve your problem.

I would ship you a pack of ours, but we cannot package them outside of equipment due to regulations.

Sam

Well, I replaced the battery tonight and re-paired, so I’ll let you know in 1-2 months if it dies prematurely. My point is a lot of grief could have been saved by mentioning this early on, considering this was a known issue, specifically about the battery drain. Instead, I yelled at my Vero once a month and called it a piece of shit for eating batteries. When it drained a perfectly good, “non-fake” Panasonic in 1 month, that was the end of my patience. Let’s hope the problem is solved, but I’m obviously not pleased about paying $4 for a f*$&ng remote battery.

I can count the number of cases where 2.4G congestion has caused battery life issues. It is very rare. When @gb160 remarked that you had some Energizer batteries that didn’t seem quite genuine, I’d assumed that was the end of the matter.

We’re not pleased that you are having issues with your battery life either. But currently, we’re less pleased to be subjected to your expletive laced rants on our public forum. Please check such excitement at the door and if you must, count to 10 or even 100 if necessary next time to cool down before posting.

1 Like

@ActionA I suggest you count to 10 or 100 before lecturing customers who have bought a commercial product advertised by this site as ready for retail. I paid money for the Vero 4K and it didn’t work as advertised on more than one occasion. In this case, I did not receive the support in a timely manner and as a result spent more money on maintaining the device than what was needed.

The fact that this is a public site is irrelevant (I’m not even sure what a “public” site means). This is a site that supports a commercial product that retails for a decent amount of money.

A simple “sorry about that” on your part would have sufficed. Generally, Sam’s attitude is much more customer-friendly than yours.

Really? It seems that you were the one that stopped communicating (by your own admission) 1.5 years ago. How was anyone supposed to know that you were still having a problem?

Please stop. “Re-pair the remote” was all that needed to be said and we wouldn’t be having this conversation right now.

And if you had told us 1.5 years ago that you were still having the problem, maybe someone would have thought to do the rare re-pairing. But since you did not say anything it’s hard to know what’s happening.

Wow, you can’t be serious. I said that the stock battery died 2 months after buying the Vero and asked if it was normal. No one said “it’s not normal, you should re-pair the remote.” I searched this forum thoroughly tonight, and this was a known issue at the time (you even used the language “battery drainage due to excessive frequency hopping”). The advice to re-pair the remote was being dished out left and right in other threads but not this one, for some reason. The only reason I stopped updating this thread was because I had bought a bagful of those Chinese batteries, but I did curse at the Vero once a month this entire time.

I understand, sometimes things can be missed on projects that are thinly staffed. Sam can’t spot all the issues by himself. He’s a nice guy though and is working his tail off. Still, if I were him, I would have a conversation with certain moderators who take on the Linus Torvalds attitude when they talk to customers on this forum. It’s not good for business or for the brand. At the end of the day, the unpleasant aftertaste is from the attitude, not from the issue of missed support.

Hmm, I wonder who has used swear words in this thread. Not me, but you sure have.

None of the moderators here can remember everything that has ever happened. I do remember seeing the re-pair because of frequency hopping a few months ago, so that’s why I asked about it when you brought up the issue again.

Using “swear words” towards inanimate objects is fine. We’re not in kindergarten. My comments about the tone of certain moderators on this forum are valid.

This is becoming massively off-topic. I will update the thread if the new battery dies again.

Please don’t try and take the moral high-ground. I can appreciate your concerns. At this point, it’s probably best to focus on the issue at hand.

Last time I checked, I was neither an inanimate object, nor did I have a middle name as determined in the subject of one of your PMs.

Things can get heated, so I’m not fussed, but I can understand that others would get frustrated with some of the language thrown around. This is also a forum for all audiences (the Pi targets a younger demographic).

I’d be more interested in resolving issues for you.

I’m sorry to hear this. I do hope that this resolves things for you, but the re-pairing mechanism is not a magic bullet. We will soon find out.

Having a quick peruse over your post history re. previous issues reminded me of the HDD power problems you experienced. If you are still using HDDs without an external power supply, then the power to USB peripherals would be marginal. This would cause a renegotiation between the remote and the dongle every few seconds, which would drain the batteries faster than normal.

Do you still have attached disks, and if so, are they powered via an external PSU?

Cheers

Sam

3 Likes

Publishing PMs is uncalled for. That message was in response to you locking my thread after the usual attack hounds lost patience and went to town with full fury. You responded gracefully to the message, and I let it go and decided to remain a customer instead of returning the device. I am definitely having second thoughts now.

You responded gracefully to the message, and I let it go

And you apologized, right?

1 Like

Indeed.

Unfortunately, you did not – and you can see the rest of those messages for yourself. I have saved you public embarrassment by not posting the whole episode here.

You can view the exact correspondence privately here.

Ad-homonym attacks (as seen above already) and bullying members of the OSMC team (in PM nonetheless, which comes across as extremely snide) that are here to help users isn’t tolerable. I don’t care if you’re a customer – it does not mean you can behave like this.

I also gave you a contact number and an official support channel if you wished to seek support in a more official capacity (ticket system). Yet you will continuously visit this forum and seemingly invoke confrontation.

While that is disappointing to hear, OSMC is a community project. The community cannot be spoiled by the demands of a single customer who will not converse in a civilised manner.

6 Likes

@Knocks I can see you formulating a response. I strongly recommend you consider what you have to say, as they could very well be your last words here.

6 Likes