How to change a keybind?

could someone please tell me how i could change my volume key ‘-’ to the letter ‘e’ please and can i do it using putty and nano?

thanks

You may be able to effect this with a mapping in ~/.kodi/userdata/keymaps/keyboard.xml, but I’m not sure what you want to map to what - is there a keyboard involved (with a faulty key …)? or is it a remote key ( what remote is it)?
I recommend looking at this wiki entry, and, perhaps the sections on mappings and remotes (links in that page).
Derek

thank you dandnsmith basically i have the e key that i need to map to volume down which is normally the minus key, ive built a briefcase jukebox and ive hacked an old keyboard to work with some buttons but ive made a mistake somewhere and eneded up with the e key as volume down seen as ive pretty much completed the build it would be a bit of a nightmare to try and change my wiring im thinking it would be much easier to change the key binding.

So, what you want is:

<keymap> <global> <keyboard> <e>VolumeDown[/e] </keyboard>
in keyboard.xml

Derek

that didnt work Derek it still comes up with ‘no PVR client has been started yet’

i had no keyboard.xml file in the \OSMC\osmc.kodi\userdata\keymaps folder so created one using notepad++ and pasted what you put saved it and restarted OSMC

am i going wrong somewhere?

You need to close

<keymap>
<global>

<keymap>
<global>
<keyboard>
<e>VolumeDown[/e]
</keyboard>
 </global>
</keymap>

sorry but this still isnt working it still the e key ive made a new keyboard.xml and pasted what youve put Dilligaf but it seems to have no effect when i browse to the folder and open the xml file it reads as youve written it,

Not sure what you copy/pasted but it should be

<keymap>
<global>
<keyboard>
<e>VolumeDown[/e]
</keyboard>
 </global>
</keymap>

Ive just double checked and its exactly as youve just put it there Dilligaf

the key that turns the volume down is the minus key can i not put a command to swap the e for the minus key?

That directory looks weird, it should be /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/keymaps/

\OSMC\osmc.kodi\userdata\keymaps im navigating to the folder through the network on my pc is this the wrong way of doing it?

sory im totaly new to this

should be
\OSMC\osmc.kodi\userdata\keymaps

so it’s probably right what are you using to create the file? Use Notepad++ and be sure to save as a unix file. If that still doesn’t work then turn on debug in Settings>system reboot and paste your Kodi.log using MyOSMC log uploader, post the link here

EDIT: the forum, is dropping the slash between osmc and .kodi so your directory is right

Use the pre-formatted text option </> to display paths correctly, eg:

\\OSMC\osmc\.kodi\userdata\keymaps

Also use it for pasting log snippets.

i was trying to upload the log but my connection dropped , i field tested my jukebox the weekend at a festival and not being able to turn down the volume with that button was a pain but i had some intermittent problems with my buttons anyway and now thinking of using the gpio pins on the Pi if possible.

I did have another problem on the same lines though that i could do with help with a bit more complicated

to get into music folder then albums the ENTER key is used so it almost acts like a forward button if you like
so one into Albums to select an album you use the ENTER key again but once your in the album and want to select a single song you the use the Q key to cue that song and you can make several single song selections a play list on the fly, which is what everyone was trying to do but it is so easy to hit the ENTER button by mistake which then stops what ever playing and starts to play the whole album that was just selected by mistake,

this happened quite a lot and is really annoying especially if you’ve just spent ages adding a load of songs

what is the best way to get around this and is it possible to change the characteristics of the ENTER button when in a specific window?

In settings>music>playback you can change to “Queue song on selection”

1 Like

well that was a lot easier than i expected :smile:

i also found the problem with the a couple of the buttons not working correct ant that was an easy fix as wel so rather go down the road of having to do some very delicate soldering can i go back to my original question,

the log file that was requested

http://paste.osmc.io/ semehonuje

thanks

im still a bit stuck with this if anyone could help it would be much appreciated, does the log ive posted still work? im not sure how long they last for

thanks

The link to your log isn’t working

ok ive just tried again i think im doing everything right hopefully this will work

http://paste.osmc.io/ julomiseti

OK, finally got to your log and there is a formatting problem with your keyboar4d.xml

11:06:30 T:3023958576   ERROR: Error loading keymap: special://masterprofile/keymaps/keyboard.xml, Line 5
                                            Error reading end tag.
11:06:30 T:3023958576    INFO: Loading special://profile/keymaps/keyboard.xml
11:06:30 T:3023958576   ERROR: Error loading keymap: special://profile/keymaps/keyboard.xml, Line 5
                                            Error reading end tag.

Post the contents of it, make sure you highlight the contents and select </> (preformatted text) from the edit selection above the posting window