I'm Still Getting Banding

Done a reboot and played a 4k film, and no banding, so looks like it’s worked! Checked SDR 1080p and looks great. So fingers crossed it’s all good now.
Thank you so much. Such a relief.

Was for Connect.
It will simply replicating what you did but without requiring SSH knowledge.

I hope that Sam proved that your statement was not true.

Are you trying to pick an argument?
When I wrote that it was true then.
I had a support ticket open for days with no response. The reason I didn’t start a forum post was to keep my issue private, cos there’s usually some sort of bully on forums that will try and make you feel stupid for not knowing how to do something.
Sam was extremely helpful last night and I’m very greatful for his help. So why you need to chime in with your little dig I don’t know? Not needed really is it.

Why would i?

Not on this one, i hope.

Great to hear that.

1 Like

I’ve applied the hotfix and I think it has worked. Although I’m still getting drop outs. I’ve just stopped a movie directly after a drop out. Is there a log that can be obtained from this?

Yes — go to My OSMC -> Logs and upload the logs after this happens.

Please enable debugging first under Settings -> Logging

Cheers

Have I done it correctly?

I’ll reply to this tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.

Sam

Just checked this, sorry for the late reply.

The dropouts are almost certainly caused by a bad cable. When your device is switched to the correct mode you are experiencing this problem.

Sam

Thanks for looking. I experience the drop outs with whatever cable I plug in. I’ve recently ordered these premium certified cables and it still does it. Not sure what else to do. I don’t get it with any of my other tech.

Not sure if I asked before, is this direct to TV, or is there an AVR in between?

Just for a quick test: what other devices are you using? I assume you’re playing 4K / HDR (same files) with these devices? 4K at 444,10-bit will quickly expose problematic cables.

What is the make and model of your display?

Sam

Direct to TV

LG OLED E6

PlayStation 4 HDR, Panasonic UHD Player UB700 and Sky Q are the other devices that are plugged in. I also have an Apple TV 4K that is not plugged in. However when it did the setup it detected that my original HDMI cable would not be able to handle the higher option and said it needed to be faster. When I used the new premium cable it said that it could use the highest available setting.

Can you send a direct link to the cable you ordered?
Hard to tell from screenshot.

I’ll order the same and check. But if you only get dropouts when 4K / HDR is engaged then that’s usually telling of a cable issue.

Better yet: why don’t we send you a known, good cable (2M)? We wouldn’t charge for this.

Sam

2 Likes

OMARS® Premium HDMI Cable 2m Ultra Speed High Support 21Gbps 4k@60Hz (HDMI V2.0b) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MD11TC2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_tYMDBbPN1QDZ9

I’ve got a day off today so I’m going to try a few things myself to see if it’s my equipment. To start I’m going to unplug everything and try just having the Vero plugged into the HDMI. Then if ok I’ll add Sky back in. Try again. If ok add PS4 etc etc. I’m wondering if one of the other bits of equipment is causing HDMI handshake issues down the line somehow when plugged in.

I very much appreciate your offer of sending me a cable but I feel like it’s not the cable issue. I can watch UHD discs through the UB700 and nothing goes wrong. You are of course welcome to send me one and I’ll do whatever tests you then want me to do.

Today, much to my girlfriend’s delight, I spent the day factory resetting every device I have.

I’ve also made sure all devices do not have anything switched to auto. For example auto power off, auto HDMI switch on, auto update etc. Everything has been plugged in again but this time different HDMI ports just so everything is completely different. All the HDMI cables are the same as before and are all the identical one as I posted above. I always use the same HDMI cables across all devices so I know where I am.

So far, one movie done and no drop out. That’s unheard of for me. Now trying a second movie and so far so good. Fingers crossed. There must have been something, somewhere miss behaving in the background. Thanks for all advice and help.

Touch wood. And keep me posted.

Sam

Got through a big bit rate movie yesterday with no drop outs. I’m hoping it’s all ok now. I will watch a few more then can close this thread hopefully.