Intermittent wifi issues + Raspberry PI 3 connected to corporate network

1. I have issues with wifi connectivity breaking intermittently.
  2. Its placed in a corporate network with multiple access points ( with an access point right above its location)
  3. There are two wifi SSIDs configured using connmanctl utitlity (guest,legends)
  4. Detailed logs here -http://paste.osmc.io/lecuhobeme
  5. Wifi works without any issues in wifi network at home.

You seem to be using both wired and wireless at the same time in part of that log which will complicate things. Try with just the WiFi.

There are also lots and lots of network errors which I would suggest you discuss with your corporate network administrator.

Thanks yknivag. No wired was used initially to add wifi access points using connmanctl. The issue happens when only using wireless. Which errors are you talking about? Unfortunately NW seems to be fine, all users connected to it via phone/laptop do not experience any problem only RPI 3 gets disconnected.

The log shows you already had a WiFi connection before the eth0 connection was made.

Why are you configuring the network directly with conmanctl rather than with the GUI in “MyOSMC”?

The WiFi is giving you a connection with the address 172.16.20.97 but then your log is flooded with this message:

Feb 28 07:47:04 aman avahi-daemon[289]: Invalid response packet from host 192.168.5.7.

Which suggests that your corporate network extends into both the 172.16 and 192.168 spaces and that something (there are at least 3 separate devices) isn’t playing nicely.

I can see SSH sessions starting and stopping very quickly, but after the period where you were connected with both WiFi and cable I can only see one WiFi drop and reconnect in a period of over 24 hours logged.

Are you using the built in WiFi or a separate dongle?

How often do you believe the WiFi is disconnecting?

The log shows you already had a WiFi connection before the eth0 connection was made.
->yes used etho0 to configure wifi first, then removed eth0,but wifi disconnected.

Why are you configuring the network directly with conmanctl rather than with the GUI in “MyOSMC”?
->Want to use a command line utility instead of gui due to lack of console.

Which suggests that your corporate network extends into both the 172.16 and 192.168 spaces and that something (there are at least 3 separate devices) isn’t playing nicely.
->yes saw those errors, however not sure how its important, wlan0 got 172.16.20.97 so i ignored that error with other ip, is it relevant to issues i am facing? Tried disabling avahi in past but issues still happend.

Are you using the built in WiFi or a separate dongle?
->wifi, corporate wifi with multiple access points.

How often do you believe the WiFi is disconnecting?
-> frequency is irregular, sometimes works for 15 minutes, goes down for next 15-20 , comes back again. some times its stable for 2-3 hours. No pattern.

I’m not sure where the console comes in. The GUI is the primary interface for OSMC as it is an operating system especially designed and optimised for use as a multi-media audio-video solution. If you want a traditional console or a headless device then you would be better with Raspbian really.

Not necessarily related, but that much invalid traffic could swamp the interface especially if the corporate WiFi is already congested.

That doesn’t answer my question. What hardware are you using on your Pi? Are you using the built-in WiFi or a USB dongle?

How are you determining that the WiFi is “disconnected”? There are very few re-connections showing in your log, only one after your initial set-up and that was the following day.

Hi yknivag

1. using built in wifi.
  2. Not able to login to the device using SSH, tells me its disconnected. During the duration of log the disconnection happened at once.

Any ideas why this could be happening?

Unfortunately the built-in WiFi on the RPi3 is a very good selling point, but not necessarily a very good performance point. If you search this forum and other Raspberry Pi forums you will find that it is unfortunately not very reliable.

What error do you get (exactly) when you try and log in via SSH?

The log is over nearly 3 days, if the disconnect happened once then that’s not really “intermittent”. Maybe the WiFi AP was rebooted by your network support personnel?

I would also raise this with whoever maintains your corporate WiFi network as they may have evidence in the network logs as to what forced the disconnect. Some corporate WiFi setups will force off devices which are idle for a specific time to free up network resources.