Is a Pi 4 with 2 GB RAM enough to confortably play 4K HDR content?

I’ve been looking around the site to find an answer but have not been able to find much info on this. The 2 GB version of the Pi is the only one on sale right now.

Also, can the second HDMI port be used to only output audio (or with for example 720P black screen) to connect to an older amplifier that doesn’t support 4K?

Thank you in advance for your help

Pi 4 with 2GB works fine for me with various 4K TVs.
I don’t think there are any advantages with extra memory - maybe with addons which I don’t use?

No

Keep in mind that HDR output is still experimental on OSMC for Pi.

Allrighty, appreciate the reply. Been on the lookout for a media player since I got a new Samsung TV and realized they haven’t supported DTS for years now (my previous TV still did) so I’ll have to consider a few options. As I understand HDR is no issue on the Vero 4K+?

No issue - fully supported for many years.

Considering the current availability problems and costs of the Pi4 at the moment, you are probably better off with the Vero 4K+.

Personally I was running Kodi/OSMC on a small PC under the TV until I needed a player for my parents and got them a Vero 4K+. Was so impressed I retired the PC and got one myself, they just work. The only issues I’ve had is the first time working out connecting to my NAS, or trying to read a hard drive connected to it from a PC on the network, but that could just be me.

2 Likes

Thanks for your kind words.