Kodi 17.1 does not boot anymore

Since the update today osmc doesnt boot into the GUI, I only see the OSMC logo.
I’m using a Raspberry 2 and have no peripherals attached to the device

grab-logs -A -C are here:
http://paste.osmc.io/bekiginaxa

Did you try sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && sudo reboot?

yes, but my system is up-to-date

I’m not so sure… Your version stated is
16:43:59.085 T:1958577072 NOTICE: Starting Kodi (17.1-RC1). Platform: Linux ARM (Thumb) 32-bit

While mine is
15:46:29.585 T:3032797184 NOTICE: Starting Kodi (17.1). Platform: Linux ARM (Thumb) 32-bit

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
->
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Does a reboot result in Kodi reporting the newer version now?

Provide fresh URL from grab-logs -A please.

http://paste.osmc.io/sunopufuje

mh… it seems kodi.log was not written?? (time of file: 17:09, system time 20:56)

Mar 24 20:52:43 osmc mediacenter[388]: Can't open serial port: No such file or directory
Mar 24 20:52:43 osmc mediacenter[388]: Can't initialize device: No such file or directory
Mar 24 20:52:43 osmc systemd[1]: mediacenter.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Mar 24 20:52:43 osmc mediacenter[413]: Can't open serial port: No such file or directory
Mar 24 20:52:43 osmc mediacenter[413]: Can't initialize device: No such file or directory
Mar 24 20:52:43 osmc systemd[1]: mediacenter.service: control process exited, code=exited status=1
Mar 24 20:52:43 osmc systemd[1]: Unit mediacenter.service entered failed state.

Yes, Kodi is failing to start…
Paste sudo systemctl status mediacenter please.

Also paste the output of the command that is advised in the above output.

* mediacenter.service - media center application
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/mediacenter.service; enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2017-03-24 20:52:43 CET; 12min ago
  Process: 413 ExecStopPost=/usr/bin/mediacenter stop (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
  Process: 388 ExecStart=/usr/bin/mediacenter (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
 Main PID: 388 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Mar 24 20:52:43 osmc systemd[1]: Started media center application.
Mar 24 20:52:43 osmc mediacenter[388]: Can't open serial port: No such file or directory
Mar 24 20:52:43 osmc mediacenter[388]: Can't initialize device: No such file or directory
Mar 24 20:52:43 osmc systemd[1]: mediacenter.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Mar 24 20:52:43 osmc mediacenter[413]: Can't open serial port: No such file or directory
Mar 24 20:52:43 osmc mediacenter[413]: Can't initialize device: No such file or directory
Mar 24 20:52:43 osmc systemd[1]: mediacenter.service: control process exited, code=exited status=1
Mar 24 20:52:43 osmc systemd[1]: Unit mediacenter.service entered failed state.

Sorry, but one of the guys more versed in systemd will have to jump in from here. Good luck.

Edit: One more thing you could try. mv .kodi/ kodi.backup/ and reboot.

tried it, but the result is the same. :disappointed:
Thank you for your efforts :slight_smile:

I’m not sure we should get too hung up on systemd. But just to be on the safe side, please confirm that file /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/mediacenter.service looks like this:

[Unit]
Description = media center application
After = remote-fs.target network-online.target mysql.service
Wants = network-online.target

[Service]
Type = simple
TimeoutStopSec = 20
ExecStart = /usr/bin/mediacenter
ExecStopPost = /usr/bin/mediacenter stop
Restart = on-abort

[Install]
WantedBy = multi-user.target

As you can see it starts /usr/bin/mediacenter. What happens when you try to run this command yourself (with sudo)?

Edit: Before running /usr/bin/mediacenter, you might want to open a second window and type sudo journalctl -xf to see the system log as it happens. (It’s like a tail -f on /var/log/syslog). Ctrl-C to finish. You could also run a tail -f ~/.kodi/temp/kodi.log if you want, as well, but I understand that it’s not being written to.

osmc@osmc:~/.kodi/temp$ sudo /usr/bin/mediacenter
Can't open serial port: No such file or directory
Can't initialize device: No such file or directory

journalctl -xf:

Mar 24 23:08:25 osmc sudo[503]: osmc : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/home/osmc/.kodi/temp ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/mediacenter
Mar 24 23:08:25 osmc sudo[503]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by osmc(uid=0)
Mar 24 23:08:25 osmc sudo[503]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root

ls -l /dev/pts

osmc@osmc:~$ ls -l /dev/pts
total 0
crw–w---- 1 osmc tty 136, 0 Mar 24 2017 0
c--------- 1 root root 5, 2 Jan 1 1970 ptmx

Yeah, /dev/pts/0 is your ssh session, as I suspected, but what’s this mystery serial port it can’t open - and is that what’s causing the abrupt failure at startup? That requires a knowledge of Kodi that I lack, alas.

One last stab. ls -l /dev/ttyS*

You should see:

crw--w---- 1 root tty     244, 0 Mar 22 11:50 /dev/ttyS0
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 244, 1 Mar 22 11:50 /dev/ttyS1

They were (re)created at the time of my last update. Perhaps yours were corrupted.

I think your last stab is getting closer to the cause of my problem…

osmc@osmc:~$ ls -l /dev/ttyS*
ls: cannot access /dev/ttyS*: No such file or directory

since I need my osmc tomorrow, I just reinstalled it and everything seems to work.
Thanks to anyone who tried to help solving my problem!

Damn, we were getting close!

But if it was a filesystem corruption, which is looking like a strong possibility, they usually bring a few other friends along to the party, so a reinstall was probably on the cards.

2 Likes

Hi,

Yesterday night my Raspberry pi was running fine. In the morning when I switched on the TV , it was a blank screen. In TVs source list instead of KODI it was showing as recorder. It was not responding to my remote commands so I rebooted it by resetting the power. After that it is waiting at noobs screen with “waiting for SD card (settings partition)” message. What to do.

Regards,
Sivabalan K