Kodi media playback randomly stops

Hi, media playback on kodi randomly stops every few minutes. How can I go about debugging this?

I have the Dec update and recently upgraded to an Edimax EW-7811UTC AC600 adapter. It seems to be the OSMC driver for this is quite a few revisions behind.

Sounds like connectivity issues does it give some sort of error message when it cuts ?
¨

is your best bet for giving the community/moderators a helping chance to solve it.

It gives no error messages, just cuts and returns to the last gui page.

Is it iwconfig or ifconfig shows a few bad Rx packets, however signal quality is at 100% and signal strength >80%. I’ve run UDP iperf and do get >100Mbps up and downstream.

The video does seem to cut on higher bit rate sources but we’re talking at most 12Mbps sources, so I don’t get it.

Debug logs will show why Kodi thought it was time to end playback. You need to provide them to move forward here.

I don’t think so. There isn’t really an upstream to follow for this driver

Hello Sam,

This is the RTL8812au driver version I see:

modinfo 8812au | grep v4
version: v4.2.2_7502.20130517

This site, GitHub - diederikdehaas/rtl8812AU: Realtek 8812AU USB WiFi driver shows existence of a 4.3.20 driver.

This site, EDIMAX - Download, shows existence of a 4.3.19 driver.

I put back my old TP-LINK WN725N WiFi adapter and I don’t see the video stopping issue.

You can bump the driver if you would like but I can’t see any perceived benefit in doing so. If I recall correctly the driver for this device was abandoned some time ago which is why we took a version and then patched it for more recent kernels.

The driver may block on background scans so it’s worth disabling that in ConnMan’s config

Hi Sam,

I’m no expert in this stuff, maybe you can help me with this error message:

Here are my steps:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install build-essential git
sudo apt-get install rbp1-headers-4.4.27-4-osmc
git clone -b driver-4.3.20 GitHub - diederikdehaas/rtl8812AU: Realtek 8812AU USB WiFi driver /home/osmc/rtl8812au
make ARCH=arm KVER=4.4.27-4-osmc KSRC=/usr/src/rbp1-headers-4.4.27-4-osmc

This is the result:
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE= -C /usr/src/rbp1-headers-4.4.27-4-osmc M=/home/osmc/rtl8812au modules
make[1]: Entering directory ‘/usr/src/rbp1-headers-4.4.27-4-osmc’
CC [M] /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_cmd.o
In file included from ./arch/arm/include/asm/page.h:163:0,
from ./arch/arm/include/asm/thread_info.h:17,
from include/linux/thread_info.h:54,
from include/asm-generic/preempt.h:4,
from arch/arm/include/generated/asm/preempt.h:1,
from include/linux/preempt.h:59,
from include/linux/spinlock.h:50,
from include/linux/seqlock.h:35,
from include/linux/time.h:5,
from include/linux/stat.h:18,
from include/linux/module.h:10,
from /home/osmc/rtl8812au/include/basic_types.h:81,
from /home/osmc/rtl8812au/include/drv_types.h:31,
from /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_cmd.c:22:
./arch/arm/include/asm/memory.h:22:25: fatal error: mach/memory.h: No such file or directory
#include <mach/memory.h>
^
compilation terminated.
scripts/Makefile.build:258: recipe for target ‘/home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_cmd.o’ failed
make[2]: *** [/home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_cmd.o] Error 1
Makefile:1400: recipe for target ‘module/home/osmc/rtl8812au’ failed
make[1]: *** [module/home/osmc/rtl8812au] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory ‘/usr/src/rbp1-headers-4.4.27-4-osmc’
Makefile:1680: recipe for target ‘modules’ failed
make: *** [modules] Error 2

Any advice how to get this done?

You need the full headers.

Probably easiest to pull the source package; or build in-tree.

Hi Sam,

I don’t know what is meant by “pull the source package; or build in-tree”. I’m just trying to get this 802.11ac WiFi dongle to work and am not a unix expert…

Would you have simple instructions?

I’m not sure that the repository you have linked to will provide any benefit to RTL8812AU adapters. Unfortunately there are not simple steps / a tutorial at this time to build kernel modules

Sam

We still haven’t seen debug logs that indicate any issue with a wifi driver.

Understood, however this issue is clearly from the WiFi dongle and my first step is to use the latest driver. I picked this 802.11ac dongle from thorough research on what works for Raspberry Pi, however it seems using OSMC isn’t making it convenient for me to run the latest driver.

Latest != greatest

I picked a good version of RTL8812AU as a base and then made improvements. I’ve done my best with this driver.

We do our best with the drivers, but there are so many dongles, and the vendor, Realtek, don’t seem to care greatly about Linux support.

You can swap out the driver for your version by adding it as a patch/ under package/kernel-osmc. I am doubtful you will see any improvements, and quite possibly regressions.

That’s more than enough to stream 1080p content.
Your problem lies elsewhere. Probably in the way you are streaming your content (NFS/SMB etc). Use an fstab, not in Kodi mount to get the benefits of readahead.

As mentioned, if I simply swap out with a TP-LINK WN725N dongle video playback is flawless. Something is going on with the Edimax EW-7811UTC AC600 dongle that is causing video playback to stop and it’s not UDP throughput related. I’ve disabled power management BTW.

I’m trying to get you a log, however your instructions aren’t very clear. In the OSMC app, I select “Log …” and then upload it somewhere?

Maybe the simplest solution might be a recommended list of 802.11ac dongles that have been tested by you as working.

I can then swallow the cost of buying a useless dongle and go buy one that you suggest.

Simply provide the resulting URL.

There are simply too many, and there are a lot of chipset variations. What works well for someone might not work well for someone else. It is also relative. Our goal is to have as many working as possible, and most people use ones they have already which is why we don’t like to discourage people from trying first.

Power management is disabled by default automatically in OSMC for this dongle. In fact it cannot be enabled.

https://osmc.tv/store/product/802-11ac-wifi-dongle/ is officially supported by us and will remain supported.

http://paste.osmc.io/ reqacoweha