Kodi update crash - OSMC RC3 , raspberry pi 2

hello

i’m using RC3.
Today Kodi showed a window about applying updates, I selected OK and end up at “sad face” screen again and again.

Shall I login SSH and “sudo reboot”?

Hi,

Yes try a reboot via SSH, however if you still keep getting the sad face please log back in with SSH, and issue the following commands to stop Kodi and post some log files:

sudo systemctl stop mediacenter
paste-log /home/osmc/.kodi/temp/kodi.log
sudo journalctl | paste-log
1 Like

Hi, I was on 0.9.9 Rc 3 release 3 and today when u turned on I got the sad face also.

My log is here: http://paste.osmc.io/wirotaqufi

edit: I am using a sandisk extreme 16gb so I don’t think i should be affected by the microsd bug

Check you haven’t run out of free disk space:

df -h

All your system journal shows is that Kodi is restarting, so doesn’t really help. A kodi log would be more useful.

osmc@osmc:~$ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 15G 2.3G 12G 17% /
devtmpfs 364M 0 364M 0% /dev
tmpfs 368M 0 368M 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 368M 9.6M 358M 3% /run
tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
tmpfs 368M 0 368M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p1 240M 31M 209M 13% /boot
tmpfs 74M 0 74M 0% /run/user/1000

Well it looks like I found my problem… my mysql server service keeps stopping… Have rebooted the server and all is well.

Would be good to have more text on screen other than a sad face to advise that it can’t connect to mysql database. =D @sam_nazarko

Here is the log file if required: http://paste.osmc.io/fuziwefumu

The sad face simply means that Kodi crashed. There is no automated way to determine what might have caused Kodi to crash hence not really any additional information we could display on the sad face screen.

Examining the Kodi log and other logs manually is the only way to diagnose the problem and often a Kodi crash does not log anything useful because by definition a crash is an unexpected termination of the program meaning it didn’t get a chance to write something to the log file about the cause of the problem.

I’m no coder, but can’t osmc simply read the log and if mysql failed then simply display the output of mysql broke?

In theory yes. But if it crashes, how do we distinguish a genuine issue with MySQL from a lack of connectivity?

Sam

From line 177 to 233, you could do a big grab? If its just a few packets failing you wouldnt get as many… but if it truely is disconected, you get a mass of errors.

Or maybe if you get more than 50 lines of ERROR: SQL: Abort due to constraint violation ?

Probably not feasilby for such a small issue, but just sayin, where theres a will theres a way! =p

This is better fixed in Kodi

Sam