Lag in NFS since September 2015 update

At the office now so that will have to wait until I get back home but I can say it didn’t appear to be specific to any particular file during my tests yesterday. I tried several and had the same results. Same files on the Vero played normally.

Duke

i have the same problem, there is a lag playing from nfs share. i tested videos running smothly on previous build, now its laggy.
my log file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8BJN7LlObxXbXVsR1hlWGpUMXc/view?usp=sharing

Please see the instructions above. Are you saying that playback from local storage is fine?

Unfortunately it’s not. There is the same problem playing it from usb pendrive connected to pi. But I don’t think its because of file, I tested few other videos, all of them are laggy. There was no problem playing those files on previous build (from nfs).
I have osmc installed on nfs share. I did fresh install of september osmc build and restored my settings from backup.

OK, that is a start. I did not think the issue would be NFS related.

@popcornmix has spotted that we are losing some performance with --enable-debug, so I’m building some new Kodi builds without this to address this and they should be available in a few hours.

Sam

I’m also getting this. Pi2 running sept osmc release. Problems only after update.
Files running off usb pendrive or usb hard drive.

Stutters of video playback with preserved audio. Happens with all video files I’ve tried, all of which were fine beforehand.

Hi, don’t know of this will help you, Sam but here goes:
I am experiencing the same “stuttering” both on usb-mounted harddrive, via smb-shared files and on streaming media (Youtube for instance).
A couple of sad-smileys (seems random).
This never happened before september update.
Oh, I’m using Pi2.
Cheers

After playing the same file via HDD, I can confirm that this issue has nothing to do with nfs but is a regression in performance of the build in video player.

Same behaviour here…

…and here

Hi Everyone,

I have been searching on the forums and it looks like this issue mite be related to the following:

not sure but the symptoms sound similar

A fixed build is already on the way

Sam

Should be fixed now. You can upgrade to the latest version via My OSMC

Sam

Hi Sam,

I’ve just upgraded today morning and the error is still there. Afternoon I try to upload a log.

Regards

What “error” ? This thread is discussing lag during playback over an NFS connection, not an error.

As I don’t see any previous post from you in this thread I don’t know what “error” you might be referring to.

If you are referring to a different issue please start your own thread for the issue rather than hijacking this one.

I will try to update this evening.

error = lag (general not only NFS as it is written above)

Sorry for my English if it was not obvious.

Regards

I hadn’t tried prior to the 2nd update, but I am not experiencing any lag on my overclocked RPi2 streaming over NFS when watching this:-

Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 2
File size : 28.7 GiB
Duration : 2h 22mn
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 28.8 Mbps
Encoded date : UTC 2012-08-21 21:49:00
Writing application : mkvmerge v5.7.0 (‘The Whirlwind’) built on Jul 8 2012 20:08:51
Writing library : libebml v1.2.3 + libmatroska v1.3.0

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Muxing mode : Container profile=Unknown@0.0
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate mode : Variable
Maximum bit rate : 32.0 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Default : No
Forced : No

Audio
ID : 2
Format : DTS
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Format profile : MA / Core
Mode : 16
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : A_DTS
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : Unknown / 1 509 Kbps
Channel(s) : 8 channels / 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, Back: L R, LFE / Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 24 bits
Compression mode : Lossless / Lossy
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

After todays update everything seems to be ok. I didn’t notice any lag. Good job. Thanks :slight_smile:

Finally managed to have some time to run the update and test playback and the video lags are gone for me as well but I am still having random sad face crashes. A topic for another thread, perhaps?

Duke