Changed the SD-Card. Changed the Pi1 card. Same result.
After the “Formatting Card” stage during startup, it reports:
“Install failed: can´t mount root”
( Used previous version instead. That works: OSMC_TGT_rbp1_20180307.img )
Thu Jan 1 00:00:11 1970 Starting OSMC installer
Thu Jan 1 00:00:24 1970 Detecting device we are running on
Thu Jan 1 00:00:24 1970 Mounting boot filesystem
Thu Jan 1 00:00:24 1970 Trying to mount to MNT_BOOT (/mnt/boot)
Thu Jan 1 00:00:24 1970 Using device->boot: /dev/mmcblk0p1 and FS: fat32
Thu Jan 1 00:00:24 1970 No preseed file was found
Thu Jan 1 00:00:24 1970 Creating root partition
Thu Jan 1 00:00:24 1970 From a root partition of /dev/mmcblk0p2, I have deduced a base device of /dev/mmcblk0
Thu Jan 1 00:00:24 1970 Determined 255 MB as end of first partition
Thu Jan 1 00:00:24 1970 Calling mkpart for device: /dev/mmcblk0 and fs: ext4 with start 257M and end 100%
Thu Jan 1 00:00:27 1970 Calling fmtpart for partition /dev/mmcblk0p2 and fstype ext4
Thu Jan 1 00:00:58 1970 Filesystem label=
OS type: Linux
Block size=4096 (log=2)
Fragment size=4096 (log=2)
Stride=2 blocks, Stripe width=1024 blocks
962880 inodes, 3846656 blocks
192332 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=0
Maximum filesystem blocks=3942645760
118 block groups
32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per group
8160 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912, 819200, 884736, 1605632, 2654208
Allocating group tables: done
Writing inode tables: done
Creating journal (32768 blocks): done
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done
Thu Jan 1 00:00:58 1970 Mounting root
Thu Jan 1 00:00:58 1970 Trying to mount to MNT_ROOT (/mnt/root)
Thu Jan 1 00:00:58 1970 Using device->root: /dev/mmcblk0p2
Thu Jan 1 00:00:58 1970 Error occured trying to mount root of /dev/mmcblk0p2
Thu Jan 1 00:00:58 1970 Halting Install. Error message was: can’t mount root
Same issue here on two Pi1 instances, one wireless and one wired. They had been happily upgrading since the initial install a couple of years ago but the March update really broke them. The media centre was taking all cpu making navigation almost impossible on the wired and there was no wireless on the other!
Hi Sam, no it’s the same issue. I have 2 Pi1s (one wired and one wireless) and both have been updating fine every month until the March update which totally broke both of them. This breaking is reported by others in other threads and what I noticed was that the media service was taking 100% CPU. On the wired Pi ssh just about worked (long time to connect & very slow response) but at least I could stop the server and manually check updates. I could not connect to the wireless pi, it just timed out. As I had not had a clean install for probably close to 2 years u decided to manually back up both SD cards on the PC and reinstall. A clean reinstall of both Pi1s with the march image fails in the manner described by the OP. I decided not yet to try a clean install with the previous version (as per OP) because the automatic update to march failed and was the original trigger for my problems. I think both of my installations were standard with only manually installed vnc and YouTube app as extras.
OP here. No and yes. As Sam says, my post is specifically about the image installation failure rather than the update failure. But yes, it was the update failure that prompted me to try reinstalling too. The update never completed in my case. I’ve disabled updates for the moment.
I have partly recovered the situation by choosing the Feb image and a manual update to the March update which took literally hours sitting at the “Cache updating - please wait” prompt on both devices! The wired device eventually completed but the wireless device failed with a message telling me to report the failure. Now that I have one working I am tempted to clone SD card and manually change it to wireless with a different hostname.
Sorry to report but with OSMC_TGT_rbp1_20180319.img the installation looks to go fine but somewhere during the installing files phase I’m see the progress bar revert back to the beginning and get the message “Install failed: Segmentation fault”.
All files on the fat partition are 0kb after this.