Media dates all set to 1969

I just got a Vero 4K. After setting it up, I connected to my media server (NAS). All of the media shares the same date, 1969, and for that reason listing media by ascending/descending dates doesn’t work.
Before getting the Vero I had been using a Cubox with LibreOffice, Kodi 17, and the date on which the media was copied to the NAS was displayed correctly. It’s also correct on the NAS itself.
I can confirm that date and time on the Vero are set up correctly (visible at top left of screen, weather and in the settings).
Am I missing something obvious? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Pato

I’ve noticed this for add-ons. Install-date is 1969. Epoch date in UNIX is 1/1/1970 GMT. This date probably is December 31 1969 23:59:59 as in we don’t know the date so we take “before epoch”.

For movies etc… this seems to be OK for me so Kodi stores the date the files were added. Are you using MySQL for the media database or the default sqlite? You could browse these files and see what is stored there.

So what was the date/time in California at that very second?

As to the original question, we’d need a bit more information about the Vero4K / network / NAS configurations.

[quote=“dillthedog, post:3, topic:54319, full:true”]we’d need a bit more information about the Vero4K / network / NAS configurations.
[/quote]
Gladly. Do you mean logs? I can ssh into the Vero and fetch whatever, but I don’t know what to look for. I remember setting it up with sqlite, but not 100% sure.

The Vero is connected to the network via ethernet, as is the Synology NAS. The NAS shares filed via zeroconf and afp.
If that’s not enough, could you be more specific?

Thanks,
Pato

Just provide the URL returned from grab-logs -A.

That’s a bit “exotic”. :wink:

This isn’t so encouraging:

AFP in Kodi is kind of broken and you shouldn’t use it:

1 Like

You should try fstab mounting of NFS shares, that’s what’s generally recommended and what I’m using from my synology nas

1 Like

I had the same problem its a KODI Glitch ! I had to go in remove all the nfo files and rescan it back in with Ember Media Manager

https://paste.osmc.tv/duwamidaxa

Not sure the info on that site is reliable. AFP is still the default file sharing protocol used by Apple computers (as of 10.13.1) and I’ve heard nothing of a change in that (not an insider). We are an all Mac household, and since Synology supports AFP we use it (and the NAS is strictly ext4). If that makes us “exotic” well allrightythen.

Also, had no trouble whatsoever with the same setup on Cubox with LibreELEC 8.0.2, and Kodi 17.3. In fact, if I switch out the Vero and the Cubox even now, then the dates show up correctly.

This certainly gives credence to the Rickt1962’s claim that it’s a glitch in Kodi.

If AFP is no longer supported in the Kodi development team then that’s another matter.
Will look into nfs shares, but really enjoyed the ease-of-use of what I had before.

Well, Kodi’s implementation might no longer be supported but OSMC provides libafpclient to allow mounting of AFP shares using the FUSE infrastructure. I haven’t tried it, nor can I, but you’ll need to run:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install man-db
sudo apt-get install armv7-libafpclient-osmc

Installing man-db is optional but you’ll get the man pages for all the commands you’ve installed.

Using NFS via /etc/fstab is the recommended method but libafpclient might more easily meet your needs.

is it odd that I am able to mount and use my shares without any trouble save the annoying date issue without installing libafpclient?

The choice lies entirely with you. If you can live with the foibles of the Kodi implementation, then you might as well stick with it.

Thanks for the advice dill. Have set up the nfs shares on my NAS. Now to figure out SettingUpNFSHowTo - Community Help Wiki

My last question pertained more to security on the NAS. Another big reason I didn’t want to do anything exotic (for me at least) is that I am afraid of exposing it to the outside world. I’ll get it sorted though.

I let this problem sit and forgot about it… minor annoyance. Anyway, just discovered I did not set up a database at all when I installed. I don’t even remember that part of the setup. I assume I can set it up after the fact. Can you recommend one or the other and give me a hint of where to look for instructions?

Thanks,
Pato

If you’re talking about a Kodi database, one is automatically created when you first run Kodi.

If you have OSMC running on multiple devices you might choose to create a central MySQL/MariaDB database but that’s not strictly necessary to run OSMC.

I would assume the database that stores the file information, including dates when files are added. How can I check if the Kodi database is installed and running? In the OSMC advanced settings there is an option to create a database, making me think there’s not one running.

As I said, a set of databases is automatically created when Kodi first runs.

If you look at file /home/osmc/.kodi/temp/kodi.log, you should see lines like this:

13:52:21.551 T:1905259264  NOTICE: Running database version ViewModes6                   
13:52:21.570 T:1905259264  NOTICE: Running database version Textures13                                        
13:52:21.598 T:1905259264  NOTICE: Running database version MyMusic60                             
13:52:21.635 T:1905259264  NOTICE: Running database version MyVideos107                
13:52:21.654 T:1905259264  NOTICE: Running database version TV29                                          
13:52:21.671 T:1905259264  NOTICE: Running database version Epg11

can confirm that the database is running. Still don’t get the reason why the dates are all wrong.