Multiple colors on screen when connecting

Can you take a photo of the marking on your HDMI cable?
(the longest one)

Is this what u meant?
If not, what am I looking for?

Its worth mentioning that my computer is the only thing that really works with the soundbar on the projector

Today I got to test it with another HDMI cable, and still same problem. I tried my neighbors projector, (Epson TW6100 - almost same as me)and still same problem. HOWEVER when I hook it up through the Wireless Display function (more of a hub) I get colors on Vero4K like its supposed too, and also AppleTV works fine with it.
I also tested on a 1080 tv and it works fine, I also tested on a 4K tv and it works fine.

The problem is. Im gonna buy a new projector with 4K that doesnt have Wireless Display (WiDi for short).
Can I expect it to work? Im gonna call Samsung support tomorrow. But any views or opinions will be greatly appreciated.

@grahamh Are you writing a suitable file?

Well it does look like the Samsung isnā€™t behaving but you could try this workaround:

Connect vero direct to beamer, make sure itā€™s displaying properly and go:

echo save bin /home/osmc/epson.edid.bin | sudo tee edid

Now connect vero through the soundbar and go:

echo load /home/osmc/epson.edid.bin | sudo tee edid

either you will get nice colors immediately or you will have to re-start Kodi with the gui (Power->Exit) or systemctl restart mediacenter Do not re-boot.

Then check if you can still get all the DD and DTS audio that your soundbar is supposed to handle. If not, we really will have to lash up an EDID that combines the beamer video caps with the soundbar audio caps.

Lost in translationā€¦ Beamer? = The Projector??

sorry, yes. Itā€™s surprising that WiDi works better than plain old copper cable.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Mon Feb 17 19:42:37 2020 from 192.168.1.2
osmc@stue:~$ echo save bin /home/osmc/epson.edid.bin | sudo tee edid
save bin /home/osmc/epson.edid.bin
osmc@stue:~$ echo load /home/osmc/epson.edid.bin | sudo tee edid
load /home/osmc/epson.edid.bin
osmc@stue:~$
osmc@stue:~$ systemctl restart mediacenter

1. Connected to beamer: Did:
    echo save bin /home/osmc/epson.edid.bin | sudo tee edid
  2. Connected to soundbar: Did:
    echo load /home/osmc/epson.edid.bin | sudo tee edid

No luck this time either
Its worth mentioning that AppleTV doesnt work either

Just checking - what does cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/edid say now?

Me and neighbor watching fotball match, I will get back to you but it may be later. But its an open buy for 60 days, so no worries :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t like to say for sure, but there arenā€™t many HDMI cables that work reliably over that kind of distance.

Click here for some real-world testing of long HDMI cables. The only ones that are entirely reliable are the hybrid fibre cables from Monoprice and RUIPRO, which are very expensive.

That said, if youā€™re not sending 4K video down them, you can get away with something cheaper.

https://www.komplett.no/product/993486/datautstyr/pc-tilbehoer/kabler/hdmi/yd-4k-ultrahd-aoc-hdmi-kabel-10m#

can this be an alternative?

sorry its a norwegian site but you get the information on top
its 18gbps which the Monoprice ones are aswell

Reading the small print, it says ā€œSupports HDR up to 4K @ 30Hzā€ so Iā€™d say no - you need it to support 4K HDR @ 60Hz to ensure compatibility with everything. But it depends what you plan to use it for, obviously.

@grahamh
The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Tue Feb 18 20:22:11 2020 from 192.168.1.2
osmc@stue:~$ echo save bin /home/osmc/epson.edid.bin | sudo tee edid
save bin /home/osmc/epson.edid.bin
osmc@stue:~$ cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/edid
Rx Brand Name: EXP
Rx Product Name: EP-HDMI-RX
Manufacture Week: 0
Manufacture Year: 2004
Physical size(cm): 115 x 65
EDID Version: 1.3
EDID block number: 0x1
blk0 chksum: 0xab
Source Physical Address[a.b.c.d]: 1.1.1.2
YCC support 0x03, VIC (native 4):
ColorDeepSupport 0x80 10/12/16/Y444 0/0/0/0
4 19 5 20 16 2 3 17 18 1
Audio {format, channel, freq, cce}
{1, 1, 0x7f, 0x07}
{1, 7, 0x7f, 0x07}
{2, 7, 0x07, 0x00}
{7, 7, 0x1e, 0x00}
{10, 7, 0x07, 0x03}
{11, 7, 0x7e, 0x01}
{11, 7, 0x7e, 0x03}
{12, 7, 0x7f, 0x03}
{15, 3, 0x04, 0x01}
Speaker Allocation: 0x4f
Vendor: 0x000c03
MaxTMDSClock1 150 MHz
SCDC: 0
RR_Cap: 0
LTE_340M_Scramble: 0

checkvalue: 0xab510000

You are correct, I will start looking for cables that ships to Norway

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=21566
Is this a good one?

Thx. I donā€™t think thatā€™s working. But itā€™s puzzling - thatā€™s the EDID that should give you a bad picture but it looks like you were using the WiDi device which you said gave you a good picture.

If you have two shorter HDMI cables, are you able to get a good picture using just those? If so, the cable must be the problem.

If it does 18GHz it will pass 4k60Hz but not at 4:4:4. But it will be enough for HDMI 2.0b (4k60 @ 4:2:0 or 4:2:2) just like any other premium high speed cable.

Yes, thatā€™s one of the ones that passed all the tests in the PDF that I linked to earlier.

But before you invest in something that pricey, you should be 100% certain that itā€™s the cable that is the problem. I donā€™t know that you can be sure about that yet: if a cable is causing problems you are more likely to see a blank screen than incorrect colours. So I recommend some more experimenting first.

1 Like

Fibre cables donā€™t work the same way as wire cables. Theyā€™re active devices, powered from the HDMI sockets, with an HDMI sink at the source end which has an optical fibre connection to a new HDMI source device at the screen end. The active source and sink devices within the cable can have limitations that you wouldnā€™t expect a conventional wire cable to have.

It was the cable, I tried moving the soundbar closer to the projector and used a 4K HDMI and connected the Vero4K to the soundbar. NIce and clean picture, now I just have to order an HDMI cable - I can use WiDi in the meantime, but sometimes it blackouts for 10sec so I canā€™t wait for a new HDMI cable

Normally cables that arenā€™t up to spec just give either a constant handshake (loss of signal, then lock on etc) or sparklies (lots of flashing pixels).

Iā€™ve not seen off colours due to a problematic cable before, but thereā€™s a first for everything.

Keep in touch and let us know how you get on when you get a new cable.

There are a few Norwegians on this forum. @tor.gunnar.berland could probably advise on the best place to get a cable in Norway.