Networking Problems (non-OSMC)

Hello!

Today my Raspberry Pi 2 has updated itself (and/or a family member pressed ‘ok’ to update) and reached OSMC 2016.06-2. I hadn’t noticed the update myself until I tried to sftp/ssh to the Raspberry to put some new movies in to find out the IP wasn’t reachable. Turning on my television prompted my with an error on updating and told me to reach out to the forum for support. After consulting ‘System Information’, the IP address changed itself to ‘169.254.132.144’ (link-local?) and after a reboot, it still won’t connect to internet. I’m using an ethernet cable between the Raspberry and my router.

Any suggestions?

Kind regards,
Rowan Kaag

UPDATE: turns out the modem has problems connecting devices, this is not OSMC or Raspberry related.

Well doesn’t sound good but reasons could be many. So you could:

1. Try to assign a static IP. If that is working I would first do a full upgrade from command line `sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.

2. Go to the console (assuming you have a keyboard attached) and check dmesg for any issue with eth0

no errors in dmesg unfortunately, tried messing around with ‘ifup eth0’ and configuring routes but no luck.

smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0 eth0: register 'smsc95xx' at usb-3f98000.usb-1.1, smsc95xx USB 2.0 ethernet, ..
IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP) eth0: link is not ready
smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0 eth0: link up, 10mbps, full duplex, lpa 0xCC61
IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE) eth0 : link becomes ready

This is a private IP. It’s used when DHCP fails and no static IP is set as a fallback.

We haven’t changed any networking in this update. It sounds like you may have a local issue, or some customisations to networking that are causing problems. We would need to know more about your setup.

Sam

Don’t play with the individual commands (unless you have changed something fundamental in your system. When I ment set static IP I ment in MYOSMC.
But you really also want to check your network. Why does the link come up at 10MB?

1 Like

@fzinken @sam_nazarko Nothing has changed in the internet configuration before this hapened. I’m quite confident of this, as I’m the only IT-guy in the house. I’ve set-up static ip addresses now for every device that’s connected. [image] Any future devices will get an IP address through DHCP. Tested and verified with all devices.

192.168.178.1 - main modem (wifi off)
192.168.178.2 - playstation 4
192.168.178.3 - raspberry pi

192.168.178.4 - airport extreme
192.168.178.x - wi-fi device x (incremental)

At the modem side, a static ip is assigned to the raspberry. From the airport side, static ip’s are assigned for devices and the default gateway is the modem.

[ image / image ]

Through OSMC :point_right: Network, the correct settings are automatically picked up, which is great.
[ image ] However it still says ‘No Internet’ on eth0.

This is also new.

Would you recommend a clean install, or should I check any other things?

Well as you seemed to not be able to get your internet connection back all troubleshooting will be tough. So a reinstall might be the fastest solution. You always can do that new install on a second SD card so that if you figure out it is not a installation problem then you can switch back.

I’ve performed a fresh install on a new SD card, only to figure out I was stupid enough to not have seen orange lights on the modem. The thermostat didn’t have an internet connection either. Most likely because I forgot to mention it in my IP listing and some assigning messed up;

As this is not OSMC-related, I can image than this is out of the dev’s scope. I just cannot figure out what might be wrong.

[ image ]

LAN port [1] is the Airport router, which is functioning perfectly fine. Wifi is no problem at all, DHCP is performed on the Airport itself. Constant green light on the modem.

LAN port [2] is the thermostat, which appears to be functioning (no connection errors in the mobile app) however temperature changes aren’t sent through. Constant orange light on the modem.

LAN port [3] is the Playstation 4, which connects through DHCP (might as well be static) and receives the correct static IP address set on the modem. Constant orange light on the modem.

LAN port [4] is the Raspberry PI, which stays stuck on [eth0 configuring]. Constant orange light on the modem.

[quote] LAN port [1] is the Airport router, which is
functioning perfectly fine. Wifi is no problem at all, DHCP is performed
on the Airport itself. Constant green light on the modem.

LAN port [2] is the thermostat, which appears to be functioning (no
connection errors in the mobile app) however temperature changes aren’t
sent through. Constant orange light on the modem.

LAN port [3] is the Playstation 4, which connects through DHCP (might
as well be static) and receives the correct static IP address set on
the modem. Constant orange light on the modem.

LAN port [4] is the Raspberry PI, which stays stuck on [eth0 configuring]. Constant orange light on the modem[/quote]

I also have networking problems - due mainly to my modem/router seeming to have lost some functionality - so I’m intrigued, but confused by your descriptions.
I understand you have a router and a modem:

• is the modem also a router, having multiple ethernet ports?
  • is there just one device handing out DHCP allocated IP addresses?
  • what are these LAN ports part of?
    Derek

I can understand that it might be a bit vague and confusing, so I’ll try to be as explicit as possible:

Modem:
- Cisco EPC3928AD
- DOCSIS 3.0
- 4x LAN port
- 1x WAN port
- Wi-fi functionality (disabled)

Router:
- Apple Airport Extreme (latest)
- 3x LAN port
- 1x WAN port
- Wi-Fi 802.11 AC

Remotely connecting to a wi-fi device in my house would be:

(remote IP) 👉 modem 👉 LAN port 1 👉 airport extreme 👉 wi-fi device

and, obviously, the other way around:

wi-fi device 👉 airport 👉 WAN port 👉 modem 👉 (internet device)

DHCP is turned off @ the Cisco modem and turned on @ the Airport Extreme.

The LAN ports are on the modem-side, and plugged in:

[1] Airport Extreme
[2] 'Smart' Thermostat
[3] Playstation 4
[4] Raspberry Pi

I suspect you may have disabled some of the Cisco functions which you want to use - NAT, routing.
Were you to plug in a simple ethernet hub/switch to the Airport, and use the ports on that instead of ports 2-4 on the Cisco, you might well find everything then worked.
Derek