New User Questions

Upload logs either via MyOSMC or command line grab-logs -A

heres my log:
https://paste.osmc.tv/facufeguju

I actually had a bit of a pain connecting to my work server today so not sure how I interfered with that?! It connected after a restart, but has never happened before so probably linked to me trying to access the OSMC.

Firstly:

Nov 16 00:31:02 osmc kernel: hdmitx: system: irq 80000004
Nov 16 00:31:02 osmc kernel: hdmitx: hpd: HDMI hpd locked
Nov 16 00:31:02 osmc kernel: hdmitx: system: irq 80000002
Nov 16 00:31:02 osmc kernel: hdmitx: hpd: HDMI hpd locked
Nov 16 00:31:35 osmc kernel: hdmitx: system: irq 80000004
Nov 16 00:31:35 osmc kernel: hdmitx: hpd: HDMI hpd locked
Nov 16 00:31:35 osmc kernel: hdmitx: system: irq 80000002
Nov 16 00:31:35 osmc kernel: hdmitx: hpd: HDMI hpd locked
Nov 16 00:31:37 osmc kernel: hdmitx: system: irq 80000004
Nov 16 00:31:37 osmc kernel: hdmitx: hpd: HDMI hpd locked
Nov 16 00:31:37 osmc kernel: hdmitx: system: irq 80000002
Nov 16 00:31:37 osmc kernel: hdmitx: hpd: HDMI hpd locked
Nov 16 00:32:10 osmc kernel: hdmitx: system: irq 80000004
Nov 16 00:32:10 osmc kernel: hdmitx: hpd: HDMI hpd locked
Nov 16 00:32:11 osmc kernel: hdmitx: system: irq 80000002
Nov 16 00:32:11 osmc kernel: hdmitx: hpd: HDMI hpd locked
Nov 16 00:32:14 osmc kernel: hdmitx: system: irq 80000004
Nov 16 00:32:14 osmc kernel: hdmitx: hpd: HDMI hpd locked

I recommend changing your HDMI cable.

Re. mounts: @dbmandrake – could this be caused by us removing automount templates?

While maybe not related to your problem using HFS as filesystem is not the best choice for a disk connected to OSMC

> Nov 13 07:25:28 osmc kernel: hfsplus: write access to a journaled filesystem is not supported, use the force option at your own risk, mounting read-only.
> Nov 13 07:25:28 osmc udisks-glue[483]: Successfully automounted /dev/sda2 at /media/Jarvis

Let’s figure out what samba sees.
Install smbclient sudo apt-get install smbclient and then run smbclient -L localhost and post the output.
Maybe also let us review your samba config, provide URL of paste-log /etc/samba/smb.conf

The output of sudo net usershare list should be useful.

Sam

thanks guys - great support!

I just got back and before trying what you said, I decided to try with a different formatted disk. So using a USB drive that is exFat, everything works. It showed up on my mac and I copied files across which then showed up on the Vero. Great stuff. So my movie drive must be HFS (probably determined by what was needed with mac/mede8er way back when I originally set it up). As i’ll be getting a new drive, I’ll just use exfat, so the issue is sorted from my point of view. If you still want me to do the sudo net thing for your reference then I can, just let me know (although I need to work out how to connect up to do the command lines).

I assume I need to change the password - is this only done through command prompts?

I will change my HDMI - thanks for that. years ago I only bought expensive cables, but then figured that HDMI ‘either worked, or didn’t work’ - I thought there was no determinable quality difference. Looks like I was wrong!

Thanks again guys

so further to the above - I now have used the command line (great wiki page BTW), and tried changing the password. However, it only changed the password to access the command lines. The password to access the samba FTP remains osmc. I tried rebooting the vero but no change. Have I missed something?

Use smbasswd -a osmc to change the OSMC samba password

that did it:
smbpasswd (for anyone referencing this in the future)
Thanks

Glad to hear it. As always – if you have any questions, let us know.

Sam

Cool - so as I’ve got it set up with a new exFAT formatted drive, everything is running nice - which leads to a few new questions :slight_smile:

1. Can I change the image chosen for collections? (i.e. The Indiana Jones collection shows crystal skull as the image. No one wants this!)

2. My hard drive doesn’t seem to be turning off fully when the vero has been suspended. The Hard drive light stays on, though it stops spinning internally. Then the hard drive plug makes a very slight buzzing noise. It only stops if unplugged from vero or vero shut off fully.

3. You mentioned to change my HDMI (which I’ve done)…why? Not sure if it’s related but when I play anything or stop a film I get a quick flash of a coloured bar across the lower half of the screen. Is this normal?

Thanks

Any help on the above?

Hard drives not powering off in suspend mode is an issue. I’m having to manually switch them off - not good.

Explain what you mean by ‘Then the hard drive plug makes a very slight buzzing noise.’? Also, what kind of drive is it? Is it self powered, powered via a USB hub or powered by the Vero?

I now have two drives plugged in via the usb 4-way extension. Both seagate, one (8tb) powered by its own plug and one (4tb) powered through usb cable. For the 8tb, when in suspend mode the hard drive light stays on and plug makes high pitched (albeit very quiet) buzzing. The 4tb drive i’ve just turned off as it was still spinning and creating an annoying vibration hum (only noticeable when nothing is turned on).

Both drives turn off fully (no lights) when in use with my computer and spun down due to no usage. Surely they should turn off fully with the Vero too?

It sounds like a problem with the USB hub? What type is it? Do you have a different one you can test with?

What plug? The USB hub plug or the drive plug?

It’s not the hub - same was happening when just the 8tb drive was plugged directly in to the Vero. So just to confirm, should usb drives power off completely when the Vero is in suspend? As in no power lights at all?

The buzzing plug is the drive plug. It’s fine when fully on, and no noise when off. It’s just when it’s in this ‘low power’ mode or whatever it is doing when the Vero is in suspend.

My guess is that the USB-port on the Vero still supply power when it’s in standby, which in turn makes your hard drive standby, with just spindown.

That’s what I figured too - it’s not ideal.

We don’t suspend power to usb when you activate suspend.

Almost all Vero users use the official OSMC remote. This would prevent wakeup.

After 15 minutes of inactivity, the drive will however be suspended, if the drive supports it.

Sam