NFS server not visible in OSMC GUI - visible in terminal

Hi,
I have set the NFS server on a remote rpi 2 (.30) with purpose to share their content on OSMC. OSMC is running on rpi 3 (.32).

NFS server is not visible in the server list of OSMC, e.g., when adding a video source:
Videos → Files → Add videos → Browse → Network File System (NFS)

The shares are visible and work ok from the osmc terminal, though:

osmc@aragorn:~$ showmount -e 192.168.1.30
Export list for 192.168.1.30:
/mnt/Ovelix 192.168.1.32
osmc@aragorn:~$ sudo mount -t nfs 192.168.1.30:/mnt/Ovelix /mnt/Ovelix
osmc@aragorn:~$ mount | grep Ovelix
192.168.1.30:/mnt/Ovelix on /mnt/Ovelix type nfs4 (rw,relatime,vers=4.2,rsize=131072,wsize=131072,namlen=255,hard,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=sys,clientaddr=192.168.1.32,local_lock=none,addr=192.168.1.30)
osmc@aragorn:~$

I have setup the nfs server exports according to Kodi needs, following the instructions from https://kodi.wiki/view/NFS, the basic configuration for sharing from Linux

pi@gimli:~ $ cat /etc/exports | grep Ovelix
/mnt/Ovelix  192.168.1.32(rw,all_squash,insecure)
pi@gimli:~ $ 

What am I doing wrong?
How can I further troubleshoot why the shares are not visible on the OSMC GUI?

This is a fresh install of OSMC on rpi 3

osmc@aragorn:~$ uname -r
5.10.78-2-osmc
osmc@aragorn:~$ grep VERSION_ID /etc/os-release
VERSION_ID="2021.12-1"
osmc@aragorn:~$ grep PRETTY /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Open Source Media Center"
osmc@aragorn:~$

The remote pi 2 runs raspbian, latest:

pi@gimli:~ $ uname -r
5.10.92-v7+
pi@gimli:~ $ grep PRETTY /etc/os-release 
PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)"
pi@gimli:~ $

I dont think I understand the question, but to access the shares from Kodi, with out using NFS, I would make a source, navigate to “Root filesystem → mnt → Ovelix”

Since you have mounted it in console to that folder?

Thanks,
that’s indeed a working alternative.
But I 'd like to understand what is wrong in either side (osmc or raspbian) causing the shares to not be visible from the osmc GUI.

Why shares are accessible from command line and not from GUI ? I don’t see the
192.168.1.30 host in the list of servers displayed in GUI, e.g., when adding a video source: Videos → Files → Add videos → Browse → Network File System (NFS)

Ahh, you want to be able to see the server in some sort of network browsing?

Without having a PiOS installation I can’t help you specifically. I would look into Kodi-information about discovery-protocol supported, when browsing NFS like bonjour/zeroconf/WSD… Those are just the three i remember of the top of my head. Then make sure you NFS-server support any one of those supported protocols. it will probably support multiple protocol, so it’s up to you to chose which one to use. Then it should be now issue.

Hope this made sense, a bit sleep depraved right now.

Right,
You said the magic word ‘discovery-protocol’! By searching a bit, it seems that the problem is that discovery-protocol is broken in kodi for the most recent versions of nfs servers. I didn’t troubleshooted further.
So I added the source manually as described in the kodi wiki:

$ cat .kodi/userdata/mediasources.xml 
<mediasources>
    <network>
        <location id="0">nfs://192.168.1.30/</location>
    </network>
</mediasources>

and the source is now visible in the GUI.
Thanks for helping out!

1 Like