No signal after reboot if tv/projector was off only on RPi4

Hi guys :slight_smile:
I migrated my OSMC with Kodi 19.1 from RPi3 to RPi4.
On the old one I have the following settings made in /boot/config.txt:

hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1
hdmi_edid_file=1
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=16

So, if my projector is off and I reboot the RPi3 and afterwards power on the projector, I get a screen and everything is fine.

On the new RPi4 I dont get the same behaviour. If the projector or avr is off and I reboot the RPi4 and power on projector, I dont get output, but only “mode unsupported” by the projector. Only if I do a reboot now I get back a screen.
I played around with the config.txt a lot, but I didnt find a combination that worked :confused:

The projector is connected to HDMI0 on the RPi4. At the moment I have these settings active:

hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_drive=2
hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=16
hdmi_ignore_edid=1

I also tried setting the values with :0= to force it to set them on HDMI0, but no difference (it also defaults to HDMI0 if no paramter is specified though…).
So does the Pi somehow ignore my settings in the config.txt or do they just not work?!
As tvservice cmd doesnt work properly on the OSMC with Kodi 19.1 I cant provide output here.

But I created two debug logs:

Any ideas if that is normal with the RPi4? As mentioned above, on the RPi3 I dont have a problem with that, it just works with the edid.dat I copied to /boot. I tried the same file on RPi4, just as info. I didnt create a new one as I am not sure whether tvservice works for that or not. But even with hardcoding the mode it doesnt work, so I dont think the problem is with the edid.dat :wink:

I don’t have a Pi4 but with Pi3 I’ve failed to find any method of booting without a screen attached and getting a picture when the screen is subsequently connected. There has been a recent kernel update which might help but I don’t know if that’s in OSMC yet.

Hm yeah on RPi3 as I have written above at least for me … np :slight_smile:
That was running for several years now as I leave the RPi3 running while avr and projector are off. Sometimes I do a reboot then and once I power back up avr and projector, tada, screen is already there.
I thought thats what the force hotplug and setting modes manually is good for :slight_smile:

Ok, but on the RPi4 it doesnt work like this. I found others on the web who report it works like that, but not for me. And those were not running OSMC, so maybe the mentioned kernel upgrade will bring it back.

Yes but the kernel for Pi3 OSMC is using has just been updated so it’s similar to the one for Pi4. Hence Pi3 is not working as it used to.

Ah ok … good point :confused: