No text

Hi there, when starting my mediacenter i noticed, that all text has gone missing. I can still move around in menus, but basically it’s just blind clicking. Also when a videofile is beeing played the time and name are not shown. Here is a screenshot from what has to be the settings-menu

i already reset the skin with kodi-commands but the text is still missing. The last thing i did was installing ifupdown . I removed it via apt-get purge just in case, but no change. But i don’t think, that that caused the problem.
Here is the logfile: https://paste.osmc.tv/episofawor

I hope someone can help me

Did you change GPU memory?

When i first set the Raspberry up. But that was months ago

osmc@mediacenter:~$ cat /boot/config.txt
gpu_mem_1024=256
hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1
disable_overscan=1
start_x=1
dtoverlay=lirc-rpi
disable_splash=1

# NOOBS Auto-generated Settings:
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
arm_freq=850
core_freq=375
gpu_mem_256=128
sdtv_aspect=1
dtparam=gpio_in_pin=18
gpu_mem_512=256
dtparam=gpio_out_pin=17
overscan_scale=1

it’s kodi 17.5 on debian 8.10 and a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

If it is a Pi3 than you are actually underclocking it.
For test purposes I would try to start with a clean kodi mv .kodi .kodi_backup and reboot

A clean kodi has no problems and displays all text. I set the gpu_mem values to their apparent default (gpu_mem_1024 to 1024 and so on) but after a reboot the system did’nt start properly and showed
Kernel Panic Out of memory and no killable processes
So i undid that

That means you give all the memory 1024M to the GPU that clearly will lead to kernel panic. Default values are:
gpu_mem_1024=256
gpu_mem_512=256
gpu_mem_256=128

okay, so i started with the default values.
What could cause the no-text-error?
A clean kodi works properly. Should i just start copying my userdata to the new kodi directory and test where it stops working properly?

Well with the repositories you installed there are many possibilities what causes it. Yes copying certain parts of the userdata one at a time can help to figure out what causes it.

okay thank you

Did you take out the “arm_freq” and “core_freq” lines to avoid you underclock your Pi3?

i commented them out

1 Like